2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 4:29 PM by John Henderson

Exporting to DXF creates unusual slots

John Henderson

Hello There,

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen "slots gone wild" like this ?

After converting parts to DXF files, the water jet guy calls me to say "It's impossible" and sends the screen shots below.

The top image shows the parts effected - just simple slots - fully defined sketches with no external references

SW Glitch DXF.png

You can see the odd effect of an inverted slot end.  I have seen sketches do crazy things, but never seen this.

Is dxf conversion glitch a wee bit common ? I need to review the DXF's now after I make them, and I guess with third party viewer ?.  Any suggestions on your best practices for proofing a dxf would be much appreciated.

If you have seen your slots gone wild ?

Thanks !

• Re: Exporting to DXF creates unusual slots
          John Pesaturo

John, I've never seen anything like that when exporting a DXF. Are you sure it's actually in the DXF file and not his software?

The reason I ask is that I have seen that type of scenario when working with small radii on some older Centurion based CNC's as well as our own WaterJET machine that uses an obscure Italian (Intaglio, sp?) software. It doesn't show up on screen on the machines but when you try to cut a part it will add loops to anywhere it didn't think the tool would have fit.

• Re: Exporting to DXF creates unusual slots
              John Henderson

Thanks John,

You make a good point.  I am going to see if he's still got the original file, and compare a few versions.

The image on far right is from his DXF "viewer/software" rest are from the WJ HMI, so yes it is indeed possible it was at his end.

I originally thought i had created some sort of robotic singularity for the WJ with a sloppy sketch, but my end (I think) is clean.  Unfortunately I overwrote the dxf