10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2017 4:23 AM by Dennis Bacon

Bend sketch around planar curve?

Zac Aj

KdzOvGf.png

I've got this part I mocked up by sweeping a thin rectangle along a 3D spline, and then sketching a rectangle near to parallel to it, and patterning it using pattern along curve, which worked okay to get an idea of what it should look like, but isn't quite right.  My rectangular sketch can't actually become flush with the bottom edge of the sweep as it's flat (both on the side and the top edge).  My goal is to eventually get a flattened version of this whole part so that I can have it cut from sheet metal and then bent into shape.  The way that would be easiest for me would be to be able to sketch the part unbent, including both the wall and the tabs below it, and then to somehow bend it.  The wall is always vertical, so a 2D sketch of the curve from above would be enough to define it, but I'm not seeing anything for this sort of functionality in Solidworks (2015).  I can use Surface->Flatten on the wall and then draw the tabs on that sketch, but I also need to be able to reference the tab positions in 3D space afterwards for another part.  I'd hoped I'd be able to use the sheet metal tools to do this, but I haven't seen anything there that will work with splines