1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 4:20 PM by Dave Dinius

Inside corner for milling

Ivan Kharpalev

It is a well know fact, that cutter diameter impose restrictions for part cutout geometry.

problem description 2014 SOLIDWORKS Help - Sharp Internal Corners

How to solve it more or less automatically in SW?

I attached  Lib Feet Part to insert angle cut from Design Library.

design library part solution.png

But my version does not work for acute angle (I do not know why).

And it does not allow to place cut like this:

solutions.png

May be one know how to deal with inner corners? a good part for design library, or script solution, or some other approach?

PS why Fillet does not accept negative radius)

• Re: Inside corner for milling
          Dave Dinius

One of the problems that I've seen with machining inside corners is that the machinists typically grab a cutter that will fit and that the one designing the part tends to put in fillets that are nominal size. When doing this, the cutter goes squarely (90degrees) into the corner and cutters don't really like that. What I started doing a few years back was to bump my fillet sizes bigger than nominal, like .280" instead of .250". What this does is allow the CAM program to make a radius in the corner which has a slight decelerate/accelerate moment making the cutter much happier. Before CNC's, the machinists had mainly the nominal sizes and with CNC's it is a moot point now as the lazy machinist doesn't have to do the math.

I hope this gets to the point of what you was asking, if not, thanks for reading!