20 21 22 23 24 25 369 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2018 9:25 AM by David Mandl Go to original post
      • 315. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
        Rick McDonald

Jeff Niederman wrote:

Hi Rick,

Online licensing will work only for 2018 products. 2015 products will not recognize the licenses if you were to switch them over from machine activation to online licensing.

So for seats prior to 2018 There is and will not be any way to remotely move the license - were just out of luck if we don't remember to de-activate / release the license (even if that seat is not currently in use (actively running)). 

Seems to me that since SWX changed the rules to existing licenses, they should at least give us a work around.

Why can't SWX setup a Web page on My.solidworks.com to deactivate a seat so that it can be re-activated at another location?

I don't see what's so hard about doing that - even if you required a S/N and Password to insure it is the approved owner of that seat and do the reset.

Since a VAR or SWX can do it - why not the user. There must be a way!

As has been said by some earlier - if this ability was not ready then it should not have been imposed on users of seats prior to the ones that will have the ability - That or make it work for all of us.

• 316. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
          Kevin Quigley

Josh the implication of your comment is that many users, myself included, are somehow 'cheating'? Nothing is further from the truth. Network licensing requires network infrastructure, which many small companies don't necessarily have.  The traditional server has gone from many companies, being repkacing by cloud platforms and the like. We do this. Many do this. We run All our admin systems on the cloud. Adobe CC is a user log in system not a network license approach.

Frankly, it annoys me that we pay thousands of pounds (much more than the USA) for systems that punish the legal, paying user because the software company cannot be bothered to develop a decent internet activation and admin system. This is 2017, not 1997. Internet admin technologies are available as off the shelf modules any developer can buy into, this stuff has been around for at least 15 years now. Hell, 7 or 8 years ago SolidWorks demoed the new platform showing user log ins via the net.

We are just trying to move the desktop platform forward to make it viable for us to continue to use it. But if SolidWorks continue to build obstacles in the users way to make day to day use troublesome then people will move. The same folks who log into Office or Adobe will expect the same from what is the most costly application they use, by a very considerable margin.

so if SolidWorks have any sense they will encourage a switch to a better licensing system, and not attempt to monetise it further. If they do, then maybe we will start to respond to the daily emails we get from Autodesk, Siemens or PTC. Not to mention Onshape! We already use Fusion 360 and whilst it is not as robust as SolidWorks the harsh reality remains that in sheer modelling terms we can now do more in the vanila 360 than we can in any off the shelf SW package. And we can kit all our designers with a copy for less than the cost of a single subscription to SolidWorks Standard.

i am a designer. I don't want to spend my days administering a CAD system. As time goes on that pain point is getting bigger and SolidWorks knows or should know damn well that for the small customers like us, with up to maybe 10 seats the system as it stands now is crap, and the competition is wiping the floor on this front. I have customers with 7 or 8 seats of mixed SW packages, who find that a serious time drain when they can run a 30 user MS Office 365 system and accounting systems much much more easily. Things have to change. If you have hundreds of seats you will have dedicated IT support staff. Most SolidWorks installions dont so why treat users like they need IT staff?

• 317. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
            Kevin Quigley

This all sounds promising Matt, but as I say the devil is in the details. In answer to your question, no I won't be attending SolidWorks World..unless of course SW wishes to engage me as a consultant, pay me for my time and fly me from the UK to discuss things? The offer is aleays there  

• 318. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
              Matthieu Fourcade

Hi Kevin,

In that case, we could always set up an online meeting at some point.

As mentioned we worked hard to cover all scenarios and obviously we will keep working on making those tools better release after release based on customer's feedback.

We had some 1-1 with some user group leaders at our annual launch event here in Waltham. They provided some great feedback that we are working on implementing along with our own roadmap.

Matt

• 319. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                Josh Brady

Kevin Quigley wrote:

Josh the implication of your comment is that many users, myself included, are somehow 'cheating'?

Frankly... Yes.  Either that or I'm paying too much.  You are complaining about how much it's a pain in the butt to make your standalone licenses act like network licenses, which I pay more for but are easy to administer. 

That's not to take away anything from your points about how licensing should work... Basically network licenses for everyone for no premium cost.  Essentially that's what this portal activation looks like it's turning into... SW is running a "cloud license server" that "indefinitely borrows" a license by default rather than checking in/out with program start/shutdown.  So I definitely shouldn't be charged a premium just to administer my own license server rather than hitting Dassault's every time.

The other thing that did NOT help this situation was idiot VARs who sold customers SolidWorks with the promise of "2 licenses for the price of one".  That's how the Home Use License or second activation or whatever was presented to my current company, or at least how I was told it was presented before I got there.  So folks got used to using it outside the terms of the license agreement.  As much as SW says "this isn't because most people abused it", that's BS.  And way more people abused it (whether they realized what they were doing or not, whether it was an overeager VAR sales (fill in the blank) that sold them a bill of goods, whatever) than will admit it, or it wouldn't have been a problem.

So how 'bout it, SW?  One licensing scheme, one price?

• 320. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                  Matthieu Fourcade

Hi Rick,

I understand your comment however backporting online licensing to older version of SWX was simply not possible.

We had to re-architect our licensing to do that.

Things you describe like creating a website etc.. would unfortunately not be possible as we have no way to deactivate a license remotely.

Regards,

Matt

• 321. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                    Matthieu Fourcade

Hi Josh

Online Licensing and Network licenses are really two different animals.

With online licensing you assign a license to 1 user and this person can use it on has many devices as s/he wishes.

With network you have let's say 10 licenses than can be used by 20 designers (just not at the same time). So really they serve different purposes.

We have always wanted to give our users options and flexibility and that's why we have multiple licensing models.

Thanks,

Matt

• 322. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                      Josh Brady

Matthieu Fourcade wrote:

Hi Josh

Online Licensing and Network licenses are really two different animals.

With online licensing you assign a license to 1 user and this person can use it on has many devices as s/he wishes.

With network you have let's say 10 licenses than can be used by 20 designers (just not at the same time). So really they serve different purposes.

We have always wanted to give our users options and flexibility and that's why we have multiple licensing models.

Thanks,

Matt

I understand that you're trying to call it different things... If they don't have different names, how can you charge different prices?  That's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I understand the purpose of each.  I'm talking about the practicality of charging different amounts and expecting folks to use the licenses in the way you intend.  But if you can achieve the same end result either way (in the MySolidWorks instance, a person just has to act as the license server, matching/snatching licenses from IDs), why pay the premium for network license?   How many licenses do I need before I can save money by paying a temp full time to assign and pull back licenses on demand?  Or, in a small shop like mine or Kevin's, everybody just pools the SolidWorks IDs.  Then everyone has to remember 2 or 3 logins, etc and just try 'em until one works.  Again, more of a pain, but you get the function without the premium cost.  So, forever people complain about how it's a pain to go about switching IDs around or whatever until fix after fix and the two licensing models are indistiguishable.  Why not just charge the same amount and let folks pick whether they want to run their own license server or use your license server that you're trying so hard not to call a license server.  Heck, even switch 'em back and forth. Then you won't have folks trying to get network function from standalone licenses.

• 323. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                        Anna Wood

John Stoltzfus wrote:

Anna Wood - Anna I know you're well aware of it, but there may be others here that don't understand, but skipping 2018 and continuing with 2019 isn't going to mean anything to SW because of this….SolidWorks "Expired Subscriptions" will be switching to a “full backdating” format 1/1/16

At the end of the day SW still has a lot of work to do and it will be harder to keep clients with every hiccup in the software, way too much competition in the modeling software industry..

Jeff Niederman  - It is always refreshing to hear from SW employees, thanks for responding, just don't run away if you get any flack, you can't help the situation and again sometimes we forum people are nincompoops

We would not stop our maintenance agreement.  I just may not install the latest software.  We skipped installing SW2016 because of its issues.  I will not hesitate to skip installing SW2018 if licensing is a hassle.

• 324. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                          Chris Clouser

Anna Wood wrote:

We would not stop our maintenance agreement. I just may not install the latest software. We skipped installing SW2016 because of its issues. I will not hesitate to skip installing SW2018 if licensing is a hassle.

You say this very nonchalantly, yet you should be irritated that you have already paid for a product that you don't actually get to use.  Most of your maintenance, for some strange reason, doesn't go to the VAR's.  Therefore the average of $1500-$2000 or so per license that we all pay goes to what?  Colorless icons and ????

I would love to see more people desire to get something for their maintenance costs, or if they are not personally paying for the product then at least demanding some ROI for their employeer.  Something significant that is, considering that SWX generates billions of dollars annually, you would think annual releases would WOW us.

• 325. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                            Kevin Quigley

I have said, for many years, that active subscription should be rewarded. Interstingly, I had a call back from a Creo VAR today as we are looking at a project where we may need a Creo license. What he said astounded me. In the UK, it seems, if you go on subscription you are rewarded by access to subscription only modules. Imagine that! Imagine if SolidWorks offered subscription users say MBD? If you are on subs and have Premium, maybe you get access to one of the new 3D Experience modules? Hell if they did that we would jump at upgrading all out licenses To Premium.

For my business, SolidWorks is effective but, and it is a big but now, we need modelling tools that allow flexibility. We use Tsplines and Sub D modelling extensively. We use PowerSurfacing in SolidWorks but I do not like to rely on 3rd party add ons. Remember tsElements for SolidWorks anyone?

All the competitors offer this modelling methodology. SolidWorks has these tools already (though I have not actually tried SW industrial design and don't know anyone that uses it). Yet, they are siloed.

So yes..active subs need to be rewarded.

• 326. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                              Jeff Niederman

Hi Kevin,

In recent years, we have been doing something similar for SOLIDWORKS customers on subscription.

Starting with SW2017, SW Pro and SW Premium users get access to Visualize Standard as long as they are on subs.

Starting with SW2018, all SW users get access to CAM Standard as long as they are on subs.

SW ID  and MBD are not one of the "rewards" today, but thanks for sharing your idea.

Jeff

• 327. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                                Chris Clouser

Jeff Niederman wrote:

Hi Kevin,

In recent years, we have been doing something similar for SOLIDWORKS customers on subscription.

Starting with SW2017, SW Pro and SW Premium users get access to Visualize Standard as long as they are on subs.

Starting with SW2018, all SW users get access to CAM Standard as long as they are on subs.

SW ID and MBD are not one of the "rewards" today, but thanks for sharing your idea.

Jeff

CAM Standard will hopefully be an nice perk.

Now how about access to a kernel that handles ZTG for us minions on subs?

Or Voice Recognition?

Gesture Control?

Linux-based platform option?

Holographic display?

etc...

• 328. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                                  Jeff Niederman

Hi Chris,

All good requests, but I wouldn't put them in the same discussion as rewarding customers with new or complimentary products.  These are classic enhancement requests to be added in a future version of SOLIDWORKS, which subscription customers have always had access to.

I would encourage you to submit them to our top ten forum, which is active through January.

SOLIDWORKS World 2018 Top Ten List

The top ten forum is a way to bring more visibility to customer ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 329. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                                    Pavel Svitek

worst decision ever!

How does it work when I am at customer site with my laptop and with out a network connection and my license is tied to my desktop?

As of April 5, 2017, Dassault Systemes made a change to the activation manager database to only allow 1 active machine per standalone license. DS is actively exploring ways to alleviate difficulties this may incur.

Feel free to reach out to us to discuss best practices and alternative solutions.

Feel free to reach out ?????

Reach where?  Where can I send my suggestion to SW decision maker directly?

20 21 22 23 24 25