1 2 3 4 369 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2018 9:25 AM by David Mandl Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
        Cad Admin

Christian,

I had the specific discussion from 8-2016 all the way up to 1-2017 with my VAR.  They(Serial Numbers) actually even show up in my Admin Dashboard as well.

• 16. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
          Christian Chu

I just contacted my VAR

it's bad because the change was not publicly announced and just started from Apr. 5 - It's like they do something on our back - it's totally SAD !!!

• 17. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
            Dennis Dohogne

Richard Doyle,

Maybe I'm having trouble getting fully up to speed this Monday morning.  Please clarify these two scenarios and how/if they have changed (and when that change has become effective):

1. I have a stand-alone license.  It is installed on my work computer and on my home computer.  I can leave work and even leave SWX up and running, though the computer is locked and nobody is there to touch the software.  I go home and fire up SWX to work on something else.  I am in the USA.  Is this changed in any way now?

2. We have four networked seats of SWX at work.  I have a "standalone" version installed on my home computer using one of the four Home Use Licenses (HULs) we are authorized.  I leave work with SWX still up and running on my locked computer.  I go home and fire up SWX to work on something else.  I am in the USA.  Is this changed in any way now?

If any of these licenses are off subscription, say version 2015, does that have any influence on these situations?

• 18. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
              Jim Sculley

Rick McDonald wrote:

Jim Sculley from the way I understood the "old" policy, you could have your "Standalone" license Activated on both a work and home computer (or laptop) at the same time but you were basically on an Honor system that you would be only using one or the other at a time.

Yep.  That's my understanding.  I'm sure there were plenty of dishonorable folks abusing this to effectively double their available license count.

There was a 80/20 policy (that I never really understood fully) that (from my understanding) was intended that you could have both active for a period of time (20%) so you could transfer files, etc. or that if you had your work system on and went home you could do a little work there as well (when you work system was not being used).

The 80/20 rule was as follows:

"If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage device of a computer (other than a network server) and one person uses that computer more than 80% of the time it is in use, then that person may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the original copy is not in use.  You will keep accurate and up-to-date records of the numbers and locations of all copies of the Software, will supervise and control the use of the Software in accordance with the terms of this Agreement and will provide copies of such records to SolidWorks upon reasonable request."

That's from the SW2008 EULA.

The new policy is saying (as far as I see it) that you can only have ONE activated at a time - if one is activated (even if it is not in use or shut down other the "active" computer) you can not access it on the other. That now requires you to Deactivate one to use the other.

Then the EULA text is a misrepresentation.  You cannot 'use' the software without it being activated, therefore "the person using that computer" may  NOT "also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the original copy is not in use".  Activation isn't mentioned anywhere.

Rick McDonald wrote:

The thing I find more troubling is the part of the 2016 / 2017 EULA (that I don't remember seeing in 2015 or prior) stating " provided the Software is under active subscription service". I am not on subscription on my 2015 version. Does this mean I can no longer use my home license? If it is not in my 2015 EULA, I should not be un-able to transfer my license from work to home (or laptop).

The SW 2015 EULA contains the same text.

• 19. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                Cad Admin

I just got this response to the question to my VAR...

It is being changed, not eliminated.  SW can still be downloaded on 2 machines, however in order to use it at home (or out of the office on a different machine), he’ll need to first sign off on the work computer verifying w/ his email address, then sign in on the other machine using his email address.  It is a couple extra steps, but is also added security for both Dassault and our customers. 

The rationale behind the change is that many of our good customers have had compliance issues surrounding the 2nd installation, especially when someone leaves their company (one of my customers had a guy using the 2nd install for 2 years after he left – FOR FREE).  Also, I hear that there are some smaller companies that may be misusing the 2nd download and using the two simultaneously in violation of the EULA.

In both cases, when simultaneous use is discovered the compliance (legal) people get involved, things go sideways pretty quick. As a reseller we try to intervene on behalf of our good customers, but when it comes to protecting their intellectual property rights, there’s only so much we can do, so in a way the change is good for us as well. 

This change does not yet impact network HUL agreements that are in place, but that is likely to change soon as well.

Regards,

• 20. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                  Doug Seibel

Deepak Gupta,

The existence of a macro answers the question...

No, Solidworks didn't.  If they had, there would have been no reason for anyone to make a macro to "fix" what SW "broke".

• 21. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                    Richard Doyle

So Richard Doyle,

So if I understand correctly, even if I "shut down" the application on my work computer I can't open it on my home computer if I don't make sure to transfer out the license "before" I leave work (and vice versa), is that correct?

If your license is still active on the work computer, then yes, that's correct.

If I forget to transfer from the "Active" system, is there a way to do that remotely (built into SW or as an add on)(I have heard that there are some VAR's that have Apps to do this but I don't know if mine does or where else to get one).

Not currently (aside from the /appsmacros mentioned here and elsewhere), but we are working on something for 2018.

The change would have been much better received if it was announced in some way prior to the change, rather than being a surprise where people leave work on Friday and suddenly can't use there home license.  An announcement would have at lease lessened the disappointment and given people the ability to transfer the license before leaving work.

Agreed.

There are already people that have been hurt this weekend by the sudden change and I am sure there will be a lot more if we don't have the ability to remotely change the activation.

I don't have a problem with the policy - but there NEEDS to be an easy and remote way of changing the activation for people traveling or doing work from home when they can't get a hold of there VAR or SW to de-activate on one system.

Can you get us some information on ways to do this and let the SWX policy changes know that there needs to be an easy access app to change this remotely.

I'll see if I can dig up the info on the application we showed at SWW.

Richard

• 22. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                      Richard Doyle

Richard Doyle,

Maybe I'm having trouble getting fully up to speed this Monday morning.  Please clarify these two scenarios and how/if they have changed (and when that change has become effective):

1. I have a stand-alone license.  It is installed on my work computer and on my home computer.  I can leave work and even leave SWX up and running, though the computer is locked and nobody is there to touch the software.  I go home and fire up SWX to work on something else.  I am in the USA.  Is this changed in any way now?

Under that scenario, your second license will continue to work the same way until you have to activate again (either work or home).  The server will now only allow one activation at a time.

2. We have four networked seats of SWX at work.  I have a "standalone" version installed on my home computer using one of the four Home Use Licenses (HULs) we are authorized.  I leave work with SWX still up and running on my locked computer.  I go home and fire up SWX to work on something else.  I am in the USA.  Is this changed in any way now?

I don't know the answer to that one, but I'll see if I can find out.

If any of these licenses are off subscription, say version 2015, does that have any influence on these situations?

No.

• 23. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                        Christian Chu

Richard,

Regard to the last item:

What's about I'm on subscription and SW2015  can be activated on work and home computers with 2 activations?

• 24. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                          Richard Doyle

Same scenario I outlined for Jim - you will be able to continue having both seats activated until such time that you need to activate again (a new computer for example).

Richard

• 25. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                            Chris Clouser

So, if I'm reading this right, this is just another big FU to loyal customers, as was full backdating, etc.

Let's be completely clear, we are all on the honor system already, due to the fact that there are cracked versions of SWX floating around the innerwebs.

So, let's punish the customers that are trying to be on the up and up.

Whoever is making these decisions, please identify yourself to the forums so you can be properly ridiculed.  Names please.

If you want to make only ONE instance of a license active, you couldn't have been more stupid about it.  As mentioned, you are going to screw a lot of people who may inadvertently forget to deactivate their daily seat.  Many of these people are consultants operating at multiple locations, such as myself.  Each time I forget to deactivate, you might cost me thousands of dollars.

If SWX was smart about this, which is laughable, then they should have made a way to activate/deactivate over the internet.  When you get home at night, you open SolidWorks and if you forgot deactivate at work a dialog box would pop up and ask if you want to activate THIS instance and deactivate the other.  Then it would automatically transfer and the other instance would be INACTIVE until reactivated.

Is it just me or does this sound completely reasonable???!!!!  I hope this has all been a terrible misunderstanding.

• 27. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                              Chris Clouser

And to add to this, as somebody already mentioned, a seat should automatically deactivate when closed. DUH!  Is Homer Simpson in charge of SolidWorks?  It seems like it.

If I own a license, I should be able to install it on as many computers as I want and use it whenever and wherever I want.  I can only use one instance at a time and I can only be in one place at a time.  So as long as that seat is only being used in one location at any given time, that should suffice, right Homer?

Let me make this clear:  An intelligent system would pacify SolidWork's paranoia AND satisfy loyal customers needs.

• 28. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                                Stephen Lewicki

The lack of consideration for a loyal paying customer will not be forgotten. I would never treat my customers this way. This adds a daily piece of work to my life. The lack of communication and sneakiness of the change galls me. I just found out when I had to upgrade a computer.

They could have waited until they developed simple technology to automatically do this license swapping. How hard could that be?

I will be looking into Autocad 360 for future commitments.

• 29. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                                  S. Casale

Just to let you know. Autodesk subs, terms, customer service are far far worse. They charge for you to be able to use older versions (i.e. we are on 2013, but they have rolled out 2017. We are charged additionally to be able to use 2013).

Good luck finding a VAR that isn't a complete tool that doesn't want to charge to troubleshoot their own Software bugs.

1 2 3 4