1 2 3 First Previous 114 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 9:09 PM by Rick McDonald

Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?

Cody Zorn

Did you know that Solidworks rescinded the ability to activate your license on two separate machines?  This was super handy when you had a portable laptop and an office computer setup. Or, some call it a "home" license, allowing you to activate at the office and at home.  Now we have to transfer our license between the computers or purchase an additional license for the second machine.  Transfer is not the end of the world, but still... speed me up, don't slow me down.

• 1. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
          Chris Clouser

this doesn't sound right.  Is there anything published on this.  Many of us are working at multiple locations.  this would be a TREMENDOUS inconvenience.

• 3. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
            Cad Admin

According to my VAR "Home" use licenses are still avail...you just have to request one from them.  They are cracking down on SN on multiple machines at the same time.

If you still need the 2nd License. ...Request the "Home Use License" from them

• 4. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
              Rick McDonald

The questions are Where (country) and what license type (standalone or Network).

From my understanding, Only the US was able to have the "Home license" from a Standalone seat - it was rescinded in other countries a few years ago.  Network licenses needed to be checked in and out more recently.

I don't have network licenses and only am going on some of what I have seen on the forum - so I am not up to date on the policies for network. 

Has this now changed?  In the US? Is there a policy change that is written down somewhere that we can see for different countries?

Last I heard - not long ago - it was still OK in the US.

• 5. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                Scott Casale

You can have more than one machine use a license, but you cannot have more than one machine active.

The SolidNetwork license Manager allows you to use borrow licenses as necessary.

• 6. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                  Dennis Dohogne

Scott, that has always been the case for the networked (floating) licenses, that you can borrow one for the machine you are doing that from.  The real purpose of that is if that machine is going to be using SWX, but will be disconnected from the network so it cannot access the license server OR so someone could use their higher need to reserve a seat for whenever he/she needs it without the risk of the licenses all being in use.

The OP really is talking about a single license which has been allowed to be used in two places at once: work and home, with the understanding that both would not be in use at the same time.  AsRick McDonald states, this has been the case with SWX in the U.S. from day-one, but apparently is not the case for other countries.

With the recent change to the subscription policy it would not surprise me to learn that SWX is rescinding this policy, but I have not heard anything to that effect so I have been following this post to learn more.

It would be very nice if someone from SWX such as Matthew Lorono or Jim Wilkinson or Jody Stiles or others could quickly get us a definitive answer so that rumors don't propagate.

• 7. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                    Scott Casale

I know for every network license there is a standalone standard license offered. This SN differs from the network license (inherently).

One can use the standalone and network license at the same time. As far as I know there is no change to this as recent as mid to late 2016 I have adjusted licenses on a specific machine from network to stand alone and back (don't ask why  ).

• 8. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                      Richard Doyle

In many countries, including most of Asia and Europe, our servers have allowed for only one activation for many years. In some countries including the US, Canada, and Japan, we allowed two activations.  From here forward, we are allowing one activation for all products, consistent everywhere in the world. This change is being made to help reduce misuse of the software, which increasingly created a non-compliance license situation for some customers due to the redundant activation, in many cases unintentionally.

Our policy on home/mobile use is unchanged, it is and always has been allowed.  To use a Standalone license on more than one computer, we have the Activate/Deactivate mechanism inside SOLIDWORKS to release the license back to the server, so the license can be accessed by another computer.  This is an easy, fast, and proven system that has been in place throughout the entirety of license activation. This utility helps make it easy to ensure you are in compliance with your license usage, and the following video explains the process.

https://solidworks.2winbridge.com/p/Stand-Alone-License-Transfer-2017

There is no change to network licensing (SNL).

Richard

• 9. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                        Rick McDonald

So Richard Doyle,

So, if I understand correctly, even if I "shut down" the application on my work computer I can't open it on my home computer if I don't make sure to transfer out the license "before" I leave work (and vice versa), is that correct?

If I forget to transfer from the "Active" system, is there a way to do that remotely (built into SW or as an add on)(I have heard that there are some VAR's that have Apps to do this but I don't know if mine does or where else to get one).

The change would have been much better received if it was announced in some way prior to the change, rather than being a surprise where people leave work on Friday and suddenly can't use there home license.  An announcement would have at lease lessened the disappointment and given people the ability to transfer the license before leaving work.

There are already people that have been hurt this weekend by the sudden change and I am sure there will be a lot more if we don't have the ability to remotely change the activation.

I don't have a problem with the policy - but there NEEDS to be an easy and remote way of changing the activation for people traveling or doing work from home when they can't get a hold of there VAR or SW to de-activate on one system.

Can you get us some information on ways to do this and let the SWX policy changers know that there needs to be an easy access app to change this remotely.

Edit: spelling correction

• 10. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                          Jim Sculley

Richard Doyle wrote:

In many countries, including most of Asia and Europe, our servers have allowed for only one activation for many years. In some countries including the US, Canada, and Japan, we allowed two activations. From here forward, we are allowing one activation for all products, consistent everywhere in the world. This change is being made to help reduce misuse of the software, which increasingly created a non-compliance license situation for some customers due to the redundant activation, in many cases unintentionally.

Our policy on home/mobile use is unchanged, it is and always has been allowed. To use a Standalone license on more than one computer, we have the Activate/Deactivate mechanism inside SOLIDWORKS to release the license back to the server, so the license can be accessed by another computer. This is an easy, fast, and proven system that has been in place throughout the entirety of license activation. This utility helps make it easy to ensure you are in compliance with your license usage, and the following video explains the process.

https://solidworks.2winbridge.com/p/Stand-Alone-License-Transfer-2017

There is no change to network licensing (SNL).

Richard

Paragraphs one and two appear to be in direct conflict with one another.  If only one activation is allowed, there is no way to activate on a second machine such as a home computer or laptop, which means the policy on home/mobile use has changed.  The EULAs for 2016 and 2017 have identical text:

"If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage device of a computer (other than a network server), then the person using that computer may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the original copy is not in use, provided the Software is under active subscription service (as such is described in this Agreement)."

Are you saying that previously, SW servers allowed two activations of the same machine and now only one will be allowed per machine?  If so, all is well and one can still have an activated license on a work computer and a home/mobile computer at the same time.  If not, then I don't understand and would like some further clarification.

• 11. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                            Doug Seibel

So, in making this change, did Solidworks re-code the software so that it would automatically "release" a standalone license every time the application is closed...just like it does when it is using a network license?  Did they at least add a setting in the options, so a user can set it to release the standalone license "always on exit"? 

• 13. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                              Christian Chu

Cad Admin,

Please confirm when you heard  this info from your VAR

"Home" use licenses are still avail...you just have to request one from them
                              • 14. Re: Solidworks rescinded the ability to have a two machines activated at the same time?
                                Rick McDonald

Jim Sculley from the way I understood the "old" policy, you could have your "Standalone" license Activated on both a work and home computer (or laptop) at the same time but you were basically on an Honor system that you would be only using one or the other at a time.

There was a 80/20 policy (that I never really understood fully) that (from my understanding) was intended that you could have both active for a period of time (20%) so you could transfer files, etc. or that if you had your work system on and went home you could do a little work there as well (when you work system was not being used).  The license text has changed over versions some and is different in different countries.  The new policy is saying (as far as I see it) that you can only have ONE activated at a time - if one is activated (even if it is not in use or shut down other the "active" computer) you can not access it on the other.  That now requires you to Deactivate one to use the other.

The bad thing about that is if you forget - since you can't deactivate remotely.  There are supposed to be applications that VAR's have (at lease in the UK) to remotely deactivate a seat - but I don't know how to get these.  If we can get these then it becomes an inconvenience to keep us honest (that we should be doing anyway).

However - this app should be made available to us easily (and actually in part of the software, to remote deactivate the license (the software already has the Activation ability).

The thing I find more troubling is the part of the 2016 / 2017 EULA (that I don't remember seeing in 2015 or prior) stating  " provided the Software is under active subscription service". I am not on subscription on my 2015 version. Does this mean I can no longer use my home license?    If it is not in my 2015 EULA, I should not be un-able to transfer my license from work to home (or laptop).

1 2 3 First Previous