7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 3:00 PM by Dan Pihlaja

What is the use of this feature, "Search Shortcut"?

Dan Pihlaja

This is what I mean:

OK, Just to clarify, I know what it does.

If you put a series of letters/numbers in this column, then when you search commands, it will pop up.

As an example, if I put the letter t for "Open.."

Then, when I type t in the search bar, the first thing that comes up is "Open.."

But here's what I can't figure out.

If I am searching for the Command, "Open" then why wouldn't I just type open?

I guess I understand that if there is something with a long name, like "Hide/Show Feature Manager tree" then this would speed up the search.....but I would first have to go into customize, access keyboard shortcuts, find the item I want, assign the search criteria, then go up to the search bar and type it in.......

That makes no sense to me at all.  I suppose, the first time, I might want to know where it is, but if I can't remember where it is, why would I remember the search criteria for it?

I am just trying to understand this column in the Customize menu and what its practical use is.  Maybe there is some awesome shortcut/speed up thingy that I am missing, and curious minds want to know! 

Does anyone use this functionality?  And if so, what for?

• Re: What is the use of this feature, "Search Shortcut"?
          Rob Edwards

Hi Dan I guess it allows you to customise an enormous number of shortcuts , accessible with 1 finger typing.  I could see it being super useful if I had two right hands  ;p 

I'd probably set a few up but then I'd forget all about them,,, there are some commands I always access through search, dunno why.. I guess that's where I remember they are.

Dan Pihlaja

I don't know.....instead, I would just add it to the "S" shortcut key..

Also, The "S" shortcut key makes the icons right there next to your mouse anyway, without having to move it all the way up the top right corner.

I can see your point Rob Edwards, but I still think that there are WAY better ways to do it.

Dan Pihlaja

OK, so I found a snippet in the help files that talks about exactly what you are talking about Rob Edwards:

Found here:

2015 SOLIDWORKS Help - Search Commands Example

So, I guess this makes a little more sense......

Thanks for your reply.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Dan,

I started responding early this morning, but got pulled away to meetings, so never finished. Tom Spine can add more if I missed anything since he was involved in the design of it, but he's off work today.

This was implemented in response to users wanting multi-key shortcuts, similar to a command line interface. SOLIDWORKS cannot directly do multi-key shortcuts because as soon as you hit a key it is interpreted and executed (since there is no command line). So, instead, in SOLIDWORKS you can program your multi-key shortcuts using this search shortcut functionality (an alternative to the single key shortcuts).

So, as a couple of examples, you can program "li" for the line command, "ci" for the circle command, etc. Then, in the Command Search, "li" will have Line as the first hit in the results regardless of whether "li" would normally result in Line being alphabetically at the top and "ci" will result in Circle being at the top regardless of whether it would normally be there alphabetically.

So, this doesn't add much value if you are navigating to Command Search with your mouse because you still have the mouse movement to get up there. But, combine it with a shortcut key for Command Search, and it enables multi-key shortcuts, just with one extra keystroke to give Command Search focus before typing the shortcut. By default, "w" is the shortcut key for Command Search. So now, you have multiple key keyboard shortcuts, similar to a command line. So, type:

wli<enter> and you get the Line command

wci<enter> and you get the Circle command

Each of these is only one extra key from a command line based system which would be:

li<enter> and you get the Line command

ci<enter> and you get the Circle command

One other thing you may have never noticed. When you hit "s" to bring up the shortcut bar; the Command Search is automatically active when the shortcut bar shows. So, the following will also work to run these commands in these examples:

sli<enter> and you get the Line command

sci<enter> and you get the Circle command

I hope this explains it,

Jim

Steven Mills

I'm going to file all that away as part of the 80% of SolidWorks (and many other computer programs for that matter) that I don't really use.

Paul Risley

Used it once to find shortcuts assigned on another designers computer.(He had his set up for him and I had to use his computer for a day, I was getting wonky results with all of my typical shortcuts so I needed to list out what he had assigned and where.)

Other than that never used it.