5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 6:26 AM by Mike Dunn

Why is my .dwg file so large now

Mike Dunn

I have an odd situation when exporting a Solidworks drawing to a .dwg file. Last week I exported several sheets from several different multi-sheet Solidworks drawings. I am saving the .dwg files as only the displayed sheet not all the sheets on the drawing. Last week I sent out some preliminary copies for some quotes. The .dwg files were all in the 440 KB range, a total of 7 files were saved. This week I finalized the drawings and all I did to the Solidworks drawings was add an "Issued For Construction" note in the revision table and removed a "Work In Progress" note from each sheet. Now when I export the drawing sheets to a . dwg format the files are all in the 5,500 KB range. I can't figure out what would make the file size more than 10x of what it was. I'm doing this on SW2015.

• Re: Why is my .dwg file so large now
          Stavros Smith

Hello Mike,

Not entirely sure why it's increased so much, have you changed any of the views to show hidden detail? Have you tried the overkill command or purging items in autocad?

Regards,

Stavros

Mike Dunn

I only changes 2 things. I had a revision table that had a blank line on it with a 0 revision number. I filled in the description cell with "Issued For Construction". I also had a note on the sheet that said "Work In Progress". I deleted the note, saved the SW file then did the export same as I did prior. I was actually more surprised the first time I saved the files and the size was so small. I have not worked with the overkill of purge functions before.

Stavros Smith

If you open the sheets in autocad select everything and type in overkill,  it will delete any duplicate geometry. After that type in purge and select purge all (if the purge all button doesn't grey out keep clicking on it) . I'm not sure why those two minor changes would result in such a large increase in file size, the above should at least help bring it down a bit.

Dan Pihlaja

Were the drawings in lightweight mode when you first saved them? 

2015 SOLIDWORKS Help - Lightweight Drawings

This only works for assembly drawings I think....

To test, try again, but put them in lightweight mode first.  Then re-export.

Mike Dunn

I don't get that option with his drawing. It is actually an assembly but it only has 2 parts. Its 2 plates that will have a bunch of holes cut then welded together. I made each portion a separate part then joined them in the assembly. I pulled up some other assembly drawings and I get the feature there so there must be minimum some limit on the number of pieces required to work. So that might make a dwg export smaller, I didn't try it, but doesn't seem to be what happened here. Thanks for the suggestion.Untitled.png