8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 5:23 PM by Ryan Dark

Solidworks no longer launching

A. Cdelg

I'm suddenly having an issue where Solidworks won't get past the splash screen, stopping at "Initializing VBA engine" and it only ever shows the Orwell Offshore rig, if that means anything. Then I get a pop up saying "SOLDWORKS 2016 has encountered a problem and needs to close." "Generating a crash report, please wait" and then the normal Solidworks error report dialog comes up. I believe a driver update is possibly to blame, but I rolled back my graphics driver and still nothing. I updated other drivers on my machine as well, but it isn't exactly feasible to undo them all, and I feel like the graphics driver that was updated was the most likely culprit. I've tried reinstalling and rebooting many times along the way. I'm not sure how to fix this problem but I'm getting more desperate each day with a final project due date looming nearer. Any input is greatly appreciated, and if I need to upload a log or something, let me know how I can get that for you.

Using the Solidworks RX utility, I've tried both the "Launch SOLIDWORKS in Software OpenGL mode." and "...bypassing the Tools/Options settings" options, no dice. Those don't even get to the "Generating a crash report...." error, the splash screen just disappears.

Thanks.

• Re: Solidworks no longer launching
          Ryan Dark

If you can please post up a .NFO file of your system that we can take a look through for possible problems.  To make a .NFO file go to the Windows Start menu, run a search for “msinfo32.exe”, then open that utility; in the utility go to ‘File’, ‘Save’ to save out a .NFO file of any name that you can attach to this thread with the "Use advanced editor" option.

Ryan Dark

The drivers on your machine are very new (March 20th, 2017).  That is the newest version offered from www.geforce.com.  I'd try the 378.78, or 378.49 driver releases and see if that helps.  The 378.66 driver is known to cause pretty bad performance issues on GeForce GTX cards and should probably be avoided.

A. Cdelg

So, I had an older version of the driver when I made the post (after rolling back from the one I currently have), but trying different things resulted in the loss of whatever version I had previously with no option to roll back the driver.

Regardless, I have tried both builds suggested in addition to the build that came with the laptop, and I still have nothing. Even with the drivers uninstalled, I still have the same problem. It seems almost independend of the graphics driver.

Ryan Dark

If the hardware is not causing the issue I would move on to the prerequisite Microsoft installations.  They could be damaged in some way (I would not know how though).  You could uninstall these from your system then reinstall them from the "prereqs" folder in the root of your installation data folder for SolidWorks.  Once you have reinstalled everything in that "prereqs" folder you would then run a repair on SolidWorks via 'Programs and Features' in the Windows Control panel (antivirus being disabled for this of course).  This may help.

Viktor Bovzdarenko

Similar issue happened to us when some silent system updates replaced a few DLLs on the system.
                  Try to reinstall drivers for your graphics card. This should restore genuine DLLs on your system which are required for correct work of SolidWorks.

Regards

Phillip Johnston

You could also try uninstalling all VBA components and running a SOLIDWORKS Repair.

After you uninstall all Microsoft VBA components, close SOLIDWORKS. Go to Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>Right click on SOLIDWORKS>Select Change.

This will launch the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager. On the first screen, select Repair.

Let us know if this helps.