6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 8:45 AM by Craig Schultz

Approver reports

Ron Rose

I have a transition that require 1 person from 6 different groups to approve.

Is there a way I can see which group has or has not approved on a file

• Re: Approver reports
          Christian Chu

Do you use any PDM system?

Craig Schultz

Are you using a single parallel transition?

Ron Rose

I have a transition that require 1 person from 6 different groups to approve.

Is there a way I can see which group has or has not approved on a file?

I am using Solidworks PDM Professional

Have a single Parallel  transition

I have 6 groups with 3-5 people per group

State Change will happen when 1 person from each group promotes it.

I need to know which group has or has not approved

Steven Richmond

Hi Ron,

I was in the same situation as yourself and the only way I could get around it was having multiple states and controlling the transitions by group type. A lot messier than a single transition.

Let me explain it a bit better with a picture

I've simplified it with 3 groups (A,B and C) but the principle can be extended to the 6 that you require.

I set up my states so the are named "Awaiting Approval -" and then after this I name the groups that we are awaiting approval from. I also control the transition permissions to only allow a certain group to go down it.

For example, the file starts at Awaiting Approval - (A,B,C). Someone from Group C gets to it first and changes the state of the file. Because the top left hand transition has been set with on Group C on the permissions then it can only go to Awaiting Approval - (A,B).

I use this for our ECN process and it works for us as I can quickly see from a search card what state a file is in and if needed who to chase for approval. I can also go into the history of the file and see who has previously approved it and when.

The only thing I haven't added is a transition from each state for reject.

Hope this helps

Stevie

Craig Schultz

Okay here's the reason I was asking....I've been through the same deal (needing to track what still needs to be done), but it requires multiple transitions.

Here's what I did:

I created a variable for each group.  xyzApprover  I hid these on the data card.

I created an extra state "123 approved"

Transition from "not approved" --> "123 approved" allowed a group of people to do it, set the approver variable, version comment set to Approved by "user" on "date".  The transition is not allowed if the group approver variable is not equal to blank.

Lather rinse repeat for the other groups.

Then there's an auto transition from "123 approved" back to "not approved"

Set an auto transition from "not approved" to your next part of the workflow where the conditions are that all of the group approver variables are not equal to blank.

This fills your parts history with the approval dates from each group.  I also have columns in our search results for quick reference of who still needs to approve for DFMA.

Capture.PNG

Parallel drawbacks - it doesn't set any variables that you can follow (unless they've changed something, or I just plain missed it).  You can add comments during a transition, but that requires people to edit the comment and you can't track it.

Parallel benefits - you can revoke approval, only one transition

My way draw backs - multiple transitions, more variables

My way benefits - easy to look up either through history or data card search.