9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2008 11:39 PM by 1-27J-1686

Surface to Solid

Orlando Hernandez
      I have a wing that is a surface type file and I need to convert that to a solid model so that I can modify it cut it etc... Can anyone help?
        • Surface to Solid
          Matt Lombard
          What is your question? Do you need help as in questions answered or someone to do some modeling for you?

If you just want to know how to change a surface into a solid, you have to first make enough surface faces to completely enclose a volume, then use the Knit feature. You can either use Knit or Thicken to make it into a solid from that point. If you can't make a solid, it means that you haven't created a watertight skin around the volume.

If you want anything more specific, you might ask a question or post a model.
          • Surface to Solid
            Charles Culp
            The trailing edge has a large gap that needs to be filled. I'd do it and upload an example but I have no clue what your design requirements are. Zoom in on the trailing edge and decide how that needs to be filled. Try using the "filled surface" tool.
            • Surface to Solid
              Matt Lombard
              You've got a bad translation, with a gap all the way around. SW can't heal it. Did you get this from Catia? Could you tighten the tolerances in Catia and re-export? The gap is like .022". That's not much on 44 feet, but its more than SW can just deal with.

The alternative is that you can go forward with just surface modeling the cuts.

This isn't that difficult of a part. You could recreate the edges and remodel the part, closing the gap somehow. It would take 20 minutes to remodel, and a couple of days to find an answer that doesn't really help you here.

Something bad is happening with the data because if you try to delete faces or export and reimport, it just goes black. Choices:

- remodel (20 minutes)
              - ask for more precise data (1 day)
              - get reseller to give you an SPR, and then have SW tell you to do one of the above (months)
              • Surface to Solid
                Orlando Hernandez
                Thank you, I am making a mold out of that wing and I need to cut it in half to see a xsection of the air foil at different parts to the wing. I need to make this wing a solid too so I can add some texture to the skin and insert it into an assembly.
                • Surface to Solid
                  Orlando Hernandez
                  Thank you very much for your ideas, it is sending me in the right direction. Sorry I have no experience working with surfaces. You guys are great!!!!
                  • Surface to Solid
                    Orlando Hernandez
                    This is a second hand file I will try to get a better one.