AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cannot route between two different parts

Question asked by Thomas Linder on Mar 31, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 by Anthony Freitas

Hi

I am currently somewhat stuck with what I think is an issue with my current setup. I have a case which contains two different parts (both are defined as routing parts through the wizard and have the appropriate connection points).

Now I would like to create an assembly of those three parts. Therefore I create a new assembly, place the case at origin and then add the first routing part. At that moment, it will create a subassembly for the cabling. Now, I place the second routing part and Solidworks will create a second subassembly for the cabling.

I do not want this. I want all three parts within the same cable assembly.

I then tried to edit the first cable assembly (which contains the first routing part) and add the second routing part. This basically works, both parts can be found in "Components" in that assembly and it's possible to route between them BUT I am not able to align them properly as they do not have a direct relationship but only a relationship with the case (and they also do not have mate references). Now what is the correct sequence of actions?

I though of making my case a routing part as well but is this necessary? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Kind regards

Thomas

Outcomes