12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 1:51 PM by Tom Helsley

Select approver in data card

Pablo Fernández

Hi

I would like to know if there is a way of creating a data card variable that holds a user name, and then allowing a workflow transition only is the logged user matches that variable.

I could not find a way in the transition conditions to compare to anything but a fixed value.

Also if I use user permissions in the workflow, those permissions are fixed and I must create a different workflow for each possible approval sequence, which is impractical.

Thanks

• Re: Select approver in data card
          Tom Helsley

I think you can do that in Dispatch, but definitely not in the transition conditions.  Dispatch is better for this anyway because you can create a message to the user that tells the user why the transition cannot be completed.

Tim Webb

Pablo,

If you are wanting to pre-select who is required to make approvals so the approvals are automatically handled via workflow, don't try the drop down list in dispatch, I've done that and it goes bad at some point, and avoid using "User" names, choose groups instead, even if that means using 1 user per group, it's ok.

Here's my completely automated approval form of my change request data card. When the XML document is created, configuration manager checks the boxes for the required groups who need to approve then they transition it through to in work. This is using a customized and dynamic approval process using your workflow and data card without dispatch and without add-ins. It can be done!

1.png

I also use visuals like the graphic below the card to represent visually where the CR is in the process.

This is out of the box functionality but this is far more in depth than what will fit on a forum post. PM me if you need assistance setting this up.

Tim CEPA

Believe in The Q!

Pablo Fernández

I see what you mean, and it looks like a great work. However theres a difference in what Im trying to accomplish.

How would you do if you want to select a particular user that has to approve the drawing, provided you have hundreds of users?

I would like to define a sequence like this one:

Review 1:     PFernandez

Review 2:     THesley

Approve:      TWebb

Do you think that is possible?

Tim Webb

Yes, with an add-in. I have one that does this. PM me for details.

Tim

Tom Helsley

Pablo, are you thinking of selecting the reviewers on the data card of each file every time the file is submitted for approval?

Pablo Fernández

Yes, we normally do that with our current system. We have way of selecting a predefined approval sequence, or create a custom sequence for each part. The reason for that is that we have several areas of expertise, and for each area, experts involved in different projects.

Tom Helsley

I see.  The reason I ask is because I was looking at adding some fields to the data cards to select who would approve, but in testing I found it too burdensome to enter for every document.  It became highly repetitive and slowed down the process even with a dispatch script.  Someday, I want to re-visit this problem.

If you have different approval sequences/routes, then they can be selected by the user as different transitions.  The different workflow routes could then limit the approvals to a sub-set or specific users at the various states.  That is what I do for my workflows.

You can do a lot with the out-of-box functionality, but often it is a matter of how creative you can get with it.  Sometimes, I have to step back from what I'm trying to do and take a different approach.  And often, I find that my first ideas are not the best ideas.

Paul Wyndham

I would try to do something like this. But I have not found a wildcard that works.

If you could get something like that to work it would give a message to anyone with the wrong log in.

Pablo Fernández

Hi Paul,

Thats something I also tried, and it does not work. It looks like it can only compare a variable to a fixed text.

Also I thougth that I could write an add in that creates an adhoc workflow for each file, but there are no interfaces for that.

To be honest, I have been working to addapt the EPDM to oir needs for a few days, and I was disapppointed about how many limitations the software has.