3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 12:23 PM by Amen Allah Jlili

XML for C# Intellisense in Visual Studio

Matt McCormick

Is there a xml file available which was generated with the build of the solidworks COM assemblies containing comments and other documentation that is available for intellisense in visual studio?

• Re: XML for C# Intellisense in Visual Studio
          Amen Allah Jlili

Not sure such thing exists. Perhaps you should try the object browser or the tlb file?

Matt McCormick

Thanks for the reply Amen, I'm rather new to the Solidworks API and I'm all ears of you have any suggestions on easier ways to accomplish what I'm shooting for. I find the object browser to be a bit clumsy in terms of workflow, and when I am simply looking for a summary description or return values at the time of use, it is a bit inconvenient to have to stop what I'm doing to dig through documentation. Having the information illuminated through intellisense is much more streamlined in my opinion.

To better articulate through example: I'm guessing that there is a high probability that the COM wrapper is written in Visual Studio since it's on the .NET platform. Here is an example of how to generate it with Visual Studio https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x4sa0ak0(v=vs.100).aspx, as well as the potential for creating it using MSBuild with flags if compiling form the command line or with another IDE: "$msbuild myproject.csproj /t:Rebuild /p:nowarn=1591 /p:doc=XMLComments.xml" . Since the API help documentation seems to have been built using a tool similar to Doxygen or Sandcastle Help File Builder, I'm guessing that these comments already exist in the code and could be easily harvested for intellisense?

Amen Allah Jlili

I would have appreciated such a feature when I was learning the AP but I'm not sure how they'd be possible with an xml documentation that doesn't exist. Intellisense wasn't that sophtiscated back when COM was created.
              If you take a peek at the definition of the sldworks you'll see no desription.

png.png

The only way to do this (if you have loads of time) is to extract the helpstring information from the tlb libraries (which I hope it exists) and build a VS extension to display the member information in the intellisense.
              You can also contact the API Support and ask them.

Meanwhile, you can get used to the API help. If it makes it any better, use the offline helper. Many of the API experts in the forum would recommend that.

We've all been there

Amen
              CADHero.com