4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 10:05 AM by Vahid Mostofi

Ordinate dimensioning and fillets

Vahid Mostofi

1- I was wondering if anyone else uses ordinate dimensioning a lot and, if so, how you handle fillets. I have a flat pattern for a steel part that has corners filleted and I'm not really sure if I should dimension the center for the fillet or to the tangent edges or virtual sharps. I'm sure this varies from company to company and person to person but does anyone have a suggestion as to approach this?

2- Also someone told me that dimensioning to tangent edges is not going to be useful for the fabricator, but I failed to understand why?

Thanks!

Vahid

• Re: Ordinate dimensioning and fillets
          Glenn Schroeder

1.  I use them often, and dimension to the intersection of the edges (I really like the right-click > Find Intersection option that was added with SW2016).

2.  Maybe it depends on the industry, but I believe the fabricator generally needs to know where the edges meet for the initial layout, and the fillet is added later.

Jim Steinmeyer

I too use ordinate dimensions and I also use virtual sharps. It is much easier for the fabricator to find the intersection of two lines than for him to locate the center of a radius. The challenge with dimension to a fillet is in finding the same location on the fillet as the drawing. I do dimension to the fillet if would be a dimension used for a bounding box to determine quantity of material.

Dan Pihlaja

I think it depends on the complexity of the part, where the fillet is, and what the function of said fillet is.

If the fillet is between 2 straight edges that are horizontal and vertical on my drawing, then I will dimension the edges only (and add the radius, or course).

If the 2 edges are NOT horizontal and vertical, and I have the fillet in place because of a clearance issue, then I will dimension to the tangent edge of the fillet, because that is the most important feature in that area.  Then I will give angles and whatnot for the edges.

If the 2 edges are NOT horizontal and vertical, and the fillet is just to round the edge for appearance sake, then I will generally dimension the intersection point of the 2 edges, and give the radius.  Then I will give angles and whatnot for the edges.

If there are 3 fillets that are all tangent to each other (or even 2 fillets), then I will dimension to the center of the fillet and give the radius.

Vahid Mostofi

Thanks all for the help!