1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 8:31 AM by Fraser Port

Annotating a .dxf file for export?

Isaac Sullivan

Im having a few problems with a profile cutting company we deal with regularly. to get parts cut out by a cnc plasma machine all drawings sent to the company need to be .dxf for their programs to understand it. they have asked me to annotate my drawings so their program (Primecut) can understand what thickness, grade plate and the name of the part is. i have an example ill attach although its from 'Ironcad', im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for doing the same thing with solidworks. Thanks.

• Re: Annotating a .dxf file for export?
          Fraser Port

There are a few ways to do this. It does depend on how many files you are dealing with.

One way is to place your flat pattern part onto a drawing sheet with all the details (as text somewhere on the sheet) coming from the parts custom properties.

Make sure the scale is 1:1 or you might have interesting results. The drawing can then be saves as a dxf.

If you have many parts, drop them into an assembly and put the assembly onto a drawing sheet. Add a bill of materials table so you have all the individual part info.

Send this as a PDF along with the individual dxf files and you will be away laughing.