7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 11:27 AM by Dennis Dohogne

Problem

Buck Cox

Could some one please take a look at the attached file from CSWP sample exam question 4, and let me know what I did wrong , I have been trying for a couple of days and cannot get the right answer,r which should be 13206.40

• Re: Problem
          Kevin Pymm

We don't know what the part is supposed to look like or what the question is? I assume it's Mass??

Buck Cox

John

Did you measure the mass of the part I sent and get 13206.4,  I get 13212.32 grams when I measure it.

Thanks

Buck

Kevin Pymm

Your issue is in Cut-Extrude4. You have some odd short lines in the corner that have no need to be there & your arc is not tangent to your connecting lines.

Once I corrected this I got the mass that you stated was correct.

Buck Cox

Kevin

Thanks so much, after removing the short lines and making both lines end points horizontal and vertical to the arc center point and the lines tangent to the arc I finally got the right answer, it's amazing how such a small mistake can sometimes drive me nuts, I have only been using Solid Works for the past few months and need all the help I can get. Again, thanks for your help.

Buck

Kevin Pymm

You're welcome, glad I could help.

Dennis Dohogne

Buck Cox wrote:

Kevin

Thanks so much, after removing the short lines and making both lines end points horizontal and vertical to the arc center point and the lines tangent to the arc I finally got the right answer, it's amazing how such a small mistake can sometimes drive me nuts, I have only been using Solid Works for the past few months and need all the help I can get. Again, thanks for your help.

Buck

Do yourself a favor and go through the SWX tutorials, under Help.  Avail yourself of all the training you can.  SWX is a great piece of software (with the exception of the bugs!).  Do yourself a favor and look for the different ways you can do something.  Sometimes it is as simple as picking things in a different order, sometimes it is a totally different approach to the model such as starting out a part as sheet metal vs. converting a shape to sheet metal.

By all means learn about the manufacturing processes that would be used to make the part.  In many cases this will (and should) influence your modeling technique.  For instance, a part turned on a lathe could/should be modeled very differently from a part made on a mill, or where will the parting lines and draft be for an injection molded part.  Design intent is a phrase you'll see here and in the SWX training, and for good reason.

It is great software, but unless you understand the manufacturing processes you are inherently specifying you can end up being nothing more than a 3D cartoonist.