1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 1:23 PM by Ryan Dark

How to mesh Aluminum Honeycomb having foil thickness 150 microns for drop test simulation.

Rajat Walia

I want to design impact attenuator for that i have modeled a aluminum honeycomb structure. Now i am doing drop test simulation but while meshing the model sometime i got system memory low error or sometime error related to mesh size. I also kept element size below 150 microns, very fine meshing, but after waiting so long i got the same error.

• Re: How to mesh Aluminum Honeycomb having foil thickness 150 microns for drop test simulation.
          Ryan Dark

Hi Rajat,

The Drop Test simulation requires that you use solid elements which, if you are using a model composed of aluminum honeycomb with 150 micron wall thicknesses is going to be a lot of elements to mesh each wall thickness.  It would take a great deal of memory to do this along with a great deal of time for the solver to run the problem.

An alternative you might consider, if the honeycomb cells are small enough compared to your overall object size would be to create a material definition that represents the material properties of the aluminum honeycomb.  For example, you construct a 1" cube of this honeycomb then subject it to 1 lb of force in each direction in order to find the X/Y/Z orthotropic properties (applied stress and resulting elongation/strain) of the honeycomb meta-material.  From that data you could construct a custom material that could be applied to a solid object and still, in a way, represent the behavior of that object if it were composed of the honeycomb structure.  This would only be a valid assumption of the cells of the honeycomb were small enough that you could assume the material were essentially homogeneous (~10-20 honeycomb cells across the smallest thickness of the model).

It is an idea that may or may not work for your situation but it is worth mentioning.