5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2017 8:43 PM by Philip Wale

Meshing Failure

Philip Wale

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and relatively new to solidworks.

I'm currently in the middle of writing up my second year engineering design project of an alloy wheel. Required in my report are simulations of the design yet i'm having some problems with mesh failure. I have tried various solutions such as fine and course mesh, curvature based mesh and a blend of both with so far no results. When I used the feature that tells me what parts of the model are failing to mesh and then I suppress those parts it basically takes away the entire of the alloy wheel other than the outer rim, this kind of defeats the object of the simulation in my eyes. I have attached a copy of the design and was hoping that someone could point me in the correct direction with what exactly needs changing in the model to get it to mesh successfully.

Regards

Phil

• Re: Meshing Failure
          Ryan Dark

Hi Philip,

When I was working with your model it became apparent that the outer rim itself was to blame for the mesh failure.  I then did a geometry check (via 'Tools', 'Evaluate', 'Check') and it revealed 4 general faults in your model.

I reduced the element size on the outer rim and it still could not mesh.  You will probably need to go back and find out what feature is producing these faults to remove them before proceeding with your simulation.

J. Mather

I was going to assist you - but then on inspection of the geometry I found issues from the very first steps.

1. I would place the axis of revolution in Sketch1 at the Origin.

2. You have many dimensions in Sketch1 that are not manufacturable and/or cannot be inspected.  I see little point in running an analysis on something that cannot be manufactured as designed (it appears that you use auto-dimension or simply "threw on" dimensions).

3.  Fillet3 results in illogical and invalid geometry. I stopped there....

Invalid Geometry.png

Examine this in Section View.

Philip Wale

Thank you both for your time it would appear that my newness to 3D modelling as a whole is showing I will take a look at both suggestions and see what I can do.

Philip Wale

I have now managed to get the model to mesh I reduced the size of fillet 3 to 50mm.

I do fully understand the modelling issues contained within the wheel when it comes to the items manufacturability but it's a little late in the day to start the model again, all I can say is I now have some excellent information to use in my evaluation and luckily for me there are a lot of marks available in that section of the report I may re draw the wheel at a later date to try and solve some of the issues mentioned.

Thank you again for your time.

Regards

Phil