2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 1:38 PM by Aaron J

Twisted sweep through three-space

Aaron J

Hello all.

So, I'm trying to make a twisted pipe through all dimensions, and after browsing threads, forums, and tutorial videos, I can't seem to figure out how to do this!

This is going to be the general shape of the pipe,

CaptureYZ.PNG

but I want it to follow this general curvature in the adjacent plane

Capture  XZ.PNG

So, if you can imagine grabbing the corner of the one blue dot of the general profile I want to use, and just pulling it to the limit of the other blue dot, so the result looks kind of  like a twisted pipe cleaner

Capture XYZ.PNG

Now, before you say projected curve, I tried this (along with a host of other options, such as shortening my curve, reversing the direction of the curve (top to bottom flow), and I can't get it to look the way I want. The sketch double backs on itself.

Animation.gif

This is going to be a guide wire for a three-dimensional sweep. I am looking for an irregular, oblong, non-concentric helix sort of a shape, where the trailing point is furthest away from the leading point.Can Solidworks do this? Everywhere I've seen 3D sketches (or other sweeping-like extrusions), they all follow linear paths, whereas there is a simple 2D sweep in one plane, followed by another 2D sweep in the adjacent plane, which is connected together to look like someone made nice, orthogonal bends to form some sort of 3D piping.

Thanks a ton for your help!