11 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 5:27 AM by SHRAVAN JODALLI

Mixing of two fluids

SHRAVAN JODALLI

Hello All,

Can we solve two different fluids flowing from same inlet at two different mass flow rate. If yes please help me with set up or and work around for these kind of mixing problems.

I am not able to define the Fluid sub domain at inlet lid.

I am not able to create mass flow rate at the inlet lid.

Please find the below attached image which explains the problem.

Regards

Shravan

• Re: Mixing of two fluids
          Amit Katz

Fluid subdomain is for modeling two separate fluids that do not mix (like in a heat exchanger), you do not need it here.

Flow Sim can simulate mixing of fluids that are in the same phase (i.e. liquid and liquid, OR gas and gas) and have similar densities. This software CAN NOT simulate a dynamic fluid-fluid interface.

You can define the fluid ratio at the inlet, or have multiple inlets for different fluids. Good luck!

SHRAVAN JODALLI

Hello Amit,

Thanks for your valuable input.

So if we have two different mass flow rate for two different liquids(water and methane) then we cannot solve in single input. either I have to model two inputs or with one flow rate we have to give fluid ratio.

Regards

Shravan

Ryan Dark

Hi Shravan,

Yes, you can set your inlet boundary to have two different fluids (provided they are both gas or both liquid).  Once you are able to define a mass flow inlet you can just put in the mass fraction values for your mass inlet definition (see below).

From the sounds of it though your model is not yet water-tight so you cannot define a boundary inside of it.  You may want to run the Leak Tracker in Flow Simulation (GoEngineer - Flow Simulation Leak Tracker) to see if your model has a leak from the inside to the outside.