30 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2019 3:49 PM by John Stoltzfus

What is the best software for progression tool design

Daniel Fielder

Hi,

Just putting the question out there. What do people suggest as the best progression tool design software for Solidworks. I want it to be integrated in SW so I don't have the hassle of using separate software.

Cheers

• Re: What is the best software for progression tool design
          Dan Pihlaja

I have never actually used it, but one of my previous peers was using Logopress.  He loves it still now.  It is an add in for Solidworks and seems to work amazing.

Logopress3, 3D Die Design Software for SOLIDWORKS

Todd Blacksher

I've heard great things about Logopress3, there were a couple of guys at our UG meeting last night that use it.

The only other add-in that I remember is 3DQuickPress.

todd

Daniel Fielder

Thanks Guys,

yeah I have tried the trial version but they only gave me access to the very basic features and without having training I couldn't use it to any extent that would show me its capabilities and worth.

Adam Hartles

Hi Daniel. I can personally recommend LogoPress. Their post sales support is fantastic- very responsive (certainly for the UK as our local support is France) and they are exceptionally detailed in walking through solutions. I am not overly au fait with the software itself, but managing customer expectations through support tickets and seeing their level of detail in their replies shows them to be an exception Partner. I would think via your VAR, or even direct, they'd be happy to do a web demo.

Adam

Rick Becker

I can add to the Logopress3 accolades. However, we didn't actually ever purchase or implement LP3.

The overall cost was prohibitive to management.

Basically, the recommendation was to learn SolidWorks to a very comfortable level before adding LP3 to the mix. LP3 changes almost everything concerning how a progressive die is constructed in SW. All for the better.

There is a steep learning curve to LP3.

LP3 has it's own yearly maintenance fee.

Check out the YouTube videos that are linked on the LP3 website. You will be sold. There is one competitor we checked out but at the time (3 years ago) LP3 was heads and shoulders better.

Accurate Die Design :: Videos

I wish I had LP3. But, you can do a very complex progressive die design with just SW. I know because I do it.

This is a picture  of a die I recently did. There are 296 details on my BOM (note no fasteners or dowels on BOM). The die set is 21 x 36.

Prog Die.JPG

Daniel Fielder

Thanks everyone! I'll get in touch with them and see how much a licence is

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Now Logopress was acquired by Autoform....I don't know if it will working with Solidworks on next release.....the reason

Autoform doesn't has any solution working on Solidworks (only available for Catia and NX)

I has serius doubt on this fusion...

Anna Wood

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama wrote:

Now Logopress was acquired by Autoform....I don't know if it will working with Solidworks on next release.....the reason

Autoform doesn't has any solution working on Solidworks (only available for Catia and NX)

I has serius doubt on this fusion...

And this is the major reason we do not use any 3rd party add-ins with SolidWorks.  You may very well end up high and dry when that add-in gets bought out or its creator goes belly up.  We have watched it happen over and over to many a good add-in.  Doesn't matter what flavor of 2D/3D cad you are using, AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks, Solid Edge, etc.....

Ray Proeber

As you well know Anna, I have much respect for you as do hundreds and yes, perhaps even thousands of people in the SolidWorks community. I don’t recall if I met you first at SolidWorks World (I have attended every single year since 2003 – seventeen years’ worth) or if we first met when I flew down to meet you at Auer Precision and introduced you to Logopress3 roughly 10 or 12 years ago. I don’t have to tell you that the company you work for does some incredible things, some of which can be seen at the company’s home page on the video that starts to show as soon as you get there.

For those that have never met me as Anna has or don’t know me, my name is Ray Proeber and I am the president and founder of Accurate Die Design Software, Inc. My company and my employees have been the face of the Logopress products that are known as Logopress3 in North America since 2005, handling sales, support and training. We started working with Logopress one year before that in 2004.

Much of the work at Auer Precision is beyond the scope of progressive dies and in the third post of this thread you said “…Our strip layout work is typically pretty basic stuff that can be handled with core SolidWorks…” You go on to finish this post saying “…LogoPress3 is who we would go with, if we did...” I thank you for your support Anna.

The fourth post in this thread said: “…one of my previous peers was using Logopress. He loves it still now. It is an add-in for Solidworks and seems to work amazing…” The fifth post in this thread said: “…I've heard great things about Logopress3…” Another post says: “I can personally recommend LogoPress. Their post sales support is fantastic- very responsive … and they are exceptionally detailed in walking through solutions.” And another says: “I can add to the Logopress3 accolades.” And yet another says: “…before I got LP3 I used only solidworks to build dies.  Now that I have LP3 it is absolutely amazing how much time it saves me.”

At the end of this week it will have been exactly two years to the day since you and these other two people wrote these posts with their wonderful comments about Logopress3 that we are very thankful for. In fact, most people would agree that anyone who would have invested in Logopress3 two years ago that designs a fair amount of dies annually, dies of any type, has surely recouped their original investment in the organized system for die design that Logopress3 is. And after that first year or two they will be putting that same money in the bank, year after year.

Skipping ahead two years, in regard to your most recent post that was dated last week Monday, March 11, 2019, I hope you can understand my respectful disagreement with the statement in this post where you say “…this is the major reason we do not use any 3rd party add-ins with SolidWorks.  You may very well end up high and dry when that add-in gets bought out or its creator goes belly up…”

You said this of course in reply to a post that said “Now Logopress was acquired by Autoform....I don't know if it will working with Solidworks on next release.....the reason Autoform doesn't has any solution working on Solidworks (only available for Catia and NX) I has serius [SP] doubt on this fusion...”

Some people might (mistakenly I hope) take your comment to mean that you are suggesting that Logopress may now go belly up or go away since it was sold to AutoForm, a company that is not a competitor to Logopress3 at all. (Their technology is complimentary to be sure, but they are far from having competing products.) Some clarification about Logopress3 running inside of SolidWorks – Logopress3 depends on SolidWorks – it is built on SolidWorks. Logopress3 will not run without SolidWorks.

In fact, later this year Logopress will surely not be belly up but will celebrate its 30th year in the business of die design software development, which has been their core business since 1989. Logopress was founded nearly 30 years ago by four shareholders:

1) By a die design firm owner
                              2) By a tool and die company owner
                              3) By an OEM making press room supplies and equipment
                              4) By a young engineer with a science degree in micro-mechanical, robotics and CAD by the name of Yves Thizy

After nearly 30 years of the same ownership it was simply the right time for the ownership of the company itself to change hands. For the record, no employees of Logopress have left and I know for sure that there are no plans to get rid of any employees or stakeholders of Logopress. The big thing that has changed is that Logopress now has an even stronger ownership team than it had before, and there is now development knowledge that can be shared back and forth between the developers of Logopress3 and those of AutoForm.

Yves Thizy, the general manager of Logopress (Yves was formerly the managing director/president of Logopress) is a dear friend of mine who, along with a couple of his colleagues just left the U.S. just a couple of weeks ago to head back to France after spending 12 days here in Milwaukee at Accurate Die Design Software. Last month at SolidWorks World I met the new president of Logopress, Dr. Markus Thomma. After knowing Yves for 15 years, and even after only meeting and interacting with Dr. Thomma for only a couple days at SolidWorks World, I know that these are both good people.

Let me share with you a direct quote I received from a die designer that works at a company that is our biggest customer. (The number of Logopress3 die design software licenses that they own is in the double-digits and they also own multiple seats of AutoForm software.) “Congrats! Both very good software.” Weeks later he sent me another unrelated email and he started it by saying “Again I just want to say that the support from both AutoForm and LogoPress3 is terrific!” This customer, as are many others I’m sure, is very clearly excited for what the future will bring!

Finally, I suspect that many if not most that read this next part have not been in the SolidWorks community long enough to realize or hear the facts about the following wonderful company named SolidWorks that was purchased by a much larger company, and what became of it.

SolidWorks Corp. was started in 1993. In 1995 they had a product to sell by the name of SolidWorks. Everyone was very excited. Two years later, in 1997, SolidWorks Corp. was sold to Dassault Systèmes for $310 million in stock. “After only six quarters of product shipment, SolidWorks has [had] over 6,000 installed seats serving over 3,000 customers.” (Dassault Systèmes is and was then a publicly traded company so all of this is public record.) You can read the 1997 Dassault Systèmes press release regarding their aquisition of SolidWorks here.

Everyone was very worried. (Yes, I will admit, even I was worried at the time.) Dassault Systèmes owned CATIA. So of course, it was natural for people to worry that they were buying SolidWorks to get rid of this new direct competition to their CATIA product. Or they were worried that they bought it and would wreck the wonderful thing that was “SolidWorks” that had only been on the market for eighteen months at that point in time.

As of today, SolidWorks has sold over six million seats of software. Last year’s revenue to Dassault Systèmes (again, this is public record) was nearly three quarters of a billion dollars.

I look forward to the future!

Ray Proeber

-----

For those that want to learn more about Logopress3 there is no better way that to watch some of the dozens and dozens of Logopress3 videos on YouTube at the Accurate Die Design Software YouTube channel or at the videos page of our Accurate Die Design Software web site where the videos are more organized and have more substantial descriptions about what you are about to watch.

I encourage you to check out this page that includes a very complete die design, including strip layout, 3D modeling of the die, all 2D drawings, multiple engineering changes, Logopress3 DIE DEBUGGER, etc.
                              If you want to see something really cool, then check out several die designs that are running in a virtual press at our Logopress3 DIE DEBUGGER page!

You will likely think these motion simulations (with available dynamic interference detection along with static interference detection) took a long time to set up. They don't! None of this is done with SolidWorks Simulation, it is all done with Logopress3 specific simulation created by Logopress. Check out how easy the setup is for Logopress3 DIE DEBUGGER.

If you only have a minute or two here and there then check out our our many one minute Logopress3 discovery videos.

Rick Becker

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama wrote:

Now Logopress was acquired by Autoform....

You wouldn't know it by looking at the Logopress3 website. It is mentioned on this page Company info - Logopress3.

Here is the link to the press release from the AutoForm site, https://www.autoform.com/en/pdf/news/PressRelease_190117_02.pdf

Here is the press release for those of you internet impaired...

Michael Fernando

I met Logopress3 team at the SWW19 partner pavilion. They seem to be excited about its AutoForm merge like SW excited about 3DX (3DEXPERIENCE).