3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 3:49 PM by Craig Schultz

Set Manual Revisions and Lock File State

Shaun Jalbert

Long story short...

We had a very complicated workflow that we've decided to abandon (took way too long to process and difficult to manage when you had to rollback), so we've since opted to manually input our Rev variables via data card instead without using the workflow at all.

This is proving to be much more efficient for us; however, now we're having difficulty tracking the true Rev level without referencing the Version (which isn't on our drawings). Another complaint is that the file never becomes locked like it use to when going into an approved state.

What I'd like to achieve is a very simple workflow.

State 1 = Unlocked

State 2 = Locked

I'd like the transition from State 1 to State 2 to set the "manually entered" revision number from State 1. <-- this where I'm stumped. Can this be achieved?

Kindest regards,

Shaun

• Re: Set Manual Revisions and Lock File State
          Craig Schultz

Are you talking about locking down just that variable?  Or all variables? 

All variables - just take away check out rights on that work state.

Just that variable - You could set up a dummy "lock" variable that gets an action to set to "yes" when transitioning from 1 --> 2.  Then set your rev variable with a control logic to grey out if "lock" variable contains "yes".  Then you'd have to add a transition action to clear that variable when it goes back to state 1.

Shaun Jalbert

Hi Craig:

Thanks for responding.

Yes, lock down "all" Variables. Since we Manually set the Revision in the data Card, we want the data card variables - we don't want the transition to automatically increment the variables or edit them in any way. What you see in the data card is what you get.

Then we want to Set the Revision in that state so its identifiable in the History in case we ever need to get back to it.

For example:

Data Card Revision = 2

We want the Revision stated in the history as Revision 2

See my screen shot below for example...

Craig Schultz

That revision line you see is set when you have revision numbers set in the revision. 

You might be able to run a transition action to set a variable (once again with a dummy variable, so you can clear it or whatever...)  Then under the version comment set it to "Revision changed to (revision variable name)"  (revision variable name) = > symbol, variable, revision variable