8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 2:01 PM by Tom Helsley

PDM task is making a .pdf of an old version of a file.

Geordie Humphrey

In the PDM work flow I have a task set up to create a pdf of a file when it gets moved to the "Approved" state. Recently we had a problem where it was making a pdf of a an older version, rather than what had been checked into the vault. Has anyone had this problem?

• Re: PDM task is making a .pdf of an old version of a file.
          Tom Helsley

It sounds like your task is configured to run the as-built configuration and an old version of the file was referenced by the document that move to the "Approved" state.  I have seen this happen when the previous person didn't get the latest version of the files when he approved the documents.

Tom Helsley

Well, in that case, the approver probably didn't have the latest version of the file (source file) that the PDF was made from when he approved, so maybe the older version of the source file became the latest version?  I haven't tested this with the "Use latest version" option, but you could try it.  My PDF generation tasks are set to use the as-built configuration - which is generally recommended for stability purposes.

Jennifer Ross

Actually I have reported this to SW as a bug but they are saying it is not a bug but intended functionality.  Here is the problem we are having.  We have a convert task that runs upon release of a drawing.  Our convert task has the radial button selected that says "Use the latest verson of the referenced files".However, if you read that option carefully, it is only talking about the references and not the source file.

Our issue is; many times, the engineer releasing the drawings reviews a printed version of the drawing and not the electronic version (they like paper and an old fashion red pen).  However, what happens is when they release the drawing that their drafter updated they don't get the latest version of the drawing (so they still have the version cached that they originally printed for marking up) not thinking that you have to since it is not required to have the latest version of a file to change its state.  So what happens (and this is per SW intended functionality)?  If you have a previous version of a drawing cached, and it gets sent to be converted, you get a drawing that is at a previous version but it uses the latest version of its reference.  So if the drafter added a hole to a part and then updated the drawing to include dimensions and notes, the converted file shows the new hole that was added but doesn't show the dimensions.  I cannot think of a scenario where you would ever want to do this, but again this is "intended functionality".  If you send the same previous version of the drawing to be printed through a task with the same "Use the latest verson of the referenced files" selected, the print task automatically gets the latest version of the source file.

I think if you have the option "Use the latest verson of the referenced files" selected, it should always get the latest version of the drawing. Do you agree?

Geordie Humphrey

Originally I had the "Use the latest version of the referenced files" checked when we ran into our problem. I am trying the other option, "Use the referenced version of the referenced files" option to see if we have the same issue.

We have a manager who is the one who moves the files to approved after the engineers have checked in the file changes. So hopefully they are getting the latest version. We are also experimenting with clearing cashes and getting the latest version to make sure old versions are flushed out of the system.

Jennifer Ross

I could be wrong but I don't think that the references are the problem.  Below is a drawing of a part; one pic shows the actual SW drawing and then other shows the converted drawing.  I don't think there is ever a time where you would want the results shown in the converted drawing.  If people in this discussion agree with that this is not the way the tool should function I encourage you to put in a bug.  There is a current enhancement (SPR652515) but I don't agree this is an enhancement, I think the functionality is wrong and is a bug.  I should never be able to send a previous version of a drawing while getting the latest version of the references.  The print task does exactly what it should.  If you send a previous version of a drawing to be printed by at task and have the option for use latest version of reverences, it automatically gets the latest version of the drawing along with the latest version of the references.

Actual SW drawing.jpg

Converted Drawing.jpg

Tom Helsley

Interesting, Jennifer.  I had never paid that close of attention to the wording in the task properties.  I wonder if the text (and the task) is assuming that the latest version of the drawing file (in the vault) is used.  If that is the case, then "use latest version of referenced files" makes sense. 

Maybe the problem isn't with the task, but rather the workflow transition.  Maybe the transition should not look at the version of the file that someone has cached and make that the latest version, but rather get the latest version from the vault and transition it.  A new "version" of the file is only created when a variable (not a version-free variable) is changed.

I have to test this some more to understand the possibilities better.