3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 3:04 PM by Ryan Dark

simulation 2013 failed

Wei Liu

I tried to check the displacement of a think glass panel using simulation tool.

It worked out yesterday, but not today.

I am really confused.

Please help me out.glass failed.jpg

• Re: simulation 2013 failed
          Ryan Dark

Hi Wei,

It seems very odd that it worked yesterday but not today.

Since it is a mesh failure the most likely suspect would be that very thin square portion of the body you made.  For a solid element mesh the program would have some difficulty meshing this at the default global element size.  Have you tried applying a mesh control onto the top face (now showing in that image) to make the mesh elements smaller for that volume?  I think this might help get the mesh generating.  Otherwise, try setting the definitions of the cylindrical boss extrude features to not have 'Merge result' enabled.  They will then generate as multiple bodies and make it easier to narrow down which specific volume/body is causing the mesh to fail generating.  Some bodies will succeed in meshing while others will fail; you can that apply mesh controls those failing bodies to try to help them mesh.

Wei Liu

Thanks for the help.

I tried it again with fine mesh density, it worked out again.

But It looks like there are some limitations on my computer, because when I put more legs under the glass panel, the meshing process fails again.

Ryan Dark

I'm glad it is working again for you.

If you continue to have mesh problems though I would suggest making all your extrusions into their own bodies (turning off 'Merge result') and using the mesh control scheme from this video (roughly, since your model is a part not an assembly) to apply mesh controls onto specific failing bodies (GoEngineer - Mesh Controls).  This should help make it a bit easier.