8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 9:20 AM by Christopher Pagliarini

3D PDF sample

Christopher Pagliarini

I have created a 3D PDF sample using some of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) test parts. To give a little background, NIST recently conducted their 2017 MBE PMI validation and conformance test for CAD vendors. NIST has created a "test system to measure the conformance of computer aided design software to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers standards for product manufacturing information (PMI), specifically geometric dimensioning and tolerancing" [1]. The test system includes a set of 11 models specifically designed to test the limits of Model based definition software. The test cases are designed to determine whether or not the CAD software correctly implements the PMI concepts of ASME Y 14.5-1994 and ASME Y 14.5-2003. Along with validating the implementation of standards, NIST’s key objective was to verify the semantic representation of PMI for downstream manufacturing purposes.

https://www.nist.gov/el/systems-integration-division-73400/mbe-pmi-validation-and-conformance-testing

I personally was fortunate enough to manage and work very closely with the upcoming validation and conformance testing of SOLIDWORKS MBD 2017. I was in charge of upgrading the models and there product manufacturing information from SOLIDWORKS 2012 to SOLIDWORKS 2017. With all this being said, while we await the results I decided to assembly a few of the NIST test parts and create some 3D PDF’s using SOLIDWORKS MBD. One of my goals in assembling and publishing a PDF with the NIST assembly was to ultimately learn about 3D PDF’s but also test its capabilities while doing so. To test 3D PDF's I created a multi-configuration assembly with multiple display states, and exploded views. I even created a PDF for each individual part and conveniently attached them directly to the assembly. The full interactive 3D PDF is attached.

2017-03-17_9-16-25.png

[1]lipman, Lubell, Hedberg, Feeney, Frechette,2017, “MBE PMI Validation and Conformance Testing Project.” From https://www.nist.gov/el/systems-integration-division-73400/mbe-pmi-validation-and-conformance-testing

• Re: 3D PDF sample
          Aaron Baumgartner

Do you have any How-To's on creating a pdf like that I would love to learn! I mean where you can do the text around the outside and the views can change on the inside with the different configs

Thanks

Christopher Pagliarini

To start I created a new blank template using the 3D PDF template editor which is found in the MBD command manager. I simply created a rectangle, sized it to my sheet,  and colored it grey to set the background color. From there I created multiple white rectangles in which my information would be displayed. This allowed the important information to pop and gave the sheet some definition.

rectangles.png

As for the text goes I used template text fields for all the headers, i.e part no, drw no, revision and so on. The template text fields allow me to type information directly into the template. The information that goes along with each of these headers was inserted using custom property placeholders. This allows you to insert the custom properties from solidworks directly into the published PDF. When publishing your PDF there is an output text fields feature and here is where you input the custom properties.

2017-03-17_10-26-13.png

2017-03-17_10-32-15.png

The Bill of materials was created in solidworks and within the template editor I simply inserted a bill of materials placeholder. Just like the custom properties, the bill of materials can be directly inserted at the time of publishing your PDF. The assembly notes area was created in the template editor by inserting a PDF text placeholder. This allows you to type text into your published PDF from within adobe.

2017-03-17_10-35-39.png

The design check section was created by inserting a generic table in solidworks, filling in the information,saving it as a .sldtbt file, and importing it into the template editor using the generic table command. Lastly the view port and thumbnails are simply the default primary view port and thumbnail area in template editor. For page 2 and 3 of the pdf I used independent viewports to showcase the configurations. The ability to showcase the configurations and views begin in solidworks using 3D views. Here you capture any view, display state, and configuration that you want. When publishing simply select which views you want and they will appear in the view ports in your published PDF.

2017-03-17_10-42-32.png

2017-03-17_10-44-00.png

2017-03-17_10-48-40.png

The above image is what my PDF looks like in the template editor.

I hope all this helps!

Alessandro Tornincasa

Chris, congrats for the validation work, I'm sure it was a very exciting experience!

Your 3D PDF is inspirational because template is very pleasing from a graphical point of view and the idea of attaching single parts is very efficient.

I loved page 2 of the box component where you compare configurations side by side and you show cost differences in the table.

Alex