6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2018 8:51 AM by Scott Stuart

2017 eDrawings View Control on Excel User Form

Guy Edkins

I am running SW 2016 SP 5 with PDM Pro 2017 SP1.

I have an Excel 2010 spread sheet that I built on SW 2015 machine. I created a user form that had an eDrawings Viewer control placed on it. This worked just as it should in 2015. I have now tried to resurrect this tool in the current environment. I have repointed the references to the 2017 Type Library. See below.

PastedGraphic-1.png

However the option for for placing an eDrawing Viewer control is not showing up in the list of Additional Controls as it should.  The EmodelView.dll is registered, but still no control as seen in the 2015 environment.

(see below) Any ideas how to get 2017 to show this control option so I can place it on the User Form?

PastedGraphic-2.png

• Re: 2017 eDrawings View Control on Excel User Form
          Scott Stuart

I bet you are using the 32 bit version of Office. You can't use the 64 bit version of eModelView in 32 bit VBA. KB article S-069702 talks about the 32 bit version of the dll that is used with PDM Web2 client. I was able to use that info to get the dll working in 32 bit VB.

Guy Edkins

Yup - thats it! Will the 64 bit version of Excel allow one to add the user form control for eDrawings?

Peter McCourt

Hi Scott,

Could you explain this in a bit more detail?

Scott Stuart

Here are the instructions from the KB article.

1. Locate and unpack the ‘WebPor~1.cab’ from ‘..\pdmwserver\’ folder on the SOLIDWORKS 2017 installation media.

2. From the extracted files unpack the ‘eDrawingsWPDM.cab’ into a separate folder.

3. From these files, locate a file called ‘eDrawingsWPDM.inf’.

4. Right mouse click on the file and select ‘Install’. This will install the cab file into c:\eDrawings.

5. Start a Command Prompt as an Administrator and navigate to the c:\eDrawings folder.

6. Type ‘regsvr32 EModelView.dll’ and press enter.

7. Register also the ‘EModelXlator.dll´ by typing ‘regsvr32 EModelXlator.dll’ and pressing enter.

If you have a lot of users of your app, then you probably don't want to do that manually on each user's computer. In that case, try this:

1. Locate and unpack the ‘WebPor~1.cab’ from ‘..\pdmwserver\’ folder on the SOLIDWORKS 2017 installation media.

2. From the extracted files unpack the ‘eDrawingsWPDM.cab’ into a separate folder.

3. Put the unpacked files on your network.

4. Create a batch file with the following commands (edit the path in line 1, of course):

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx "\\server\pathtounpackedfiles\eDrawingsWPDM.inf",,,4,N
                    c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 /s "C:\eDrawings\eModelView.dll"
                    c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 /s "C:\eDrawings\EModelXlator.dll"

5. Save the batch file on the network and have users run that prior to running your app, or include a call to that from your app's installer.