56 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 10:36 AM by Tim Webb

MACRO TO READ TXT FILE

Korbi Anis

Hi friends , I need a macro to read the txt file especially line beagan with "Vertex" ! I want to read the coodinates after every "vertex" word. in attachement you will find my TXT.file

• Re: MACRO TO READ TXT FILE
          Christian Chu

You can google this

Here is the one

Tim Webb

Korbi,

If my response provided the solution, I would appreciate you marking my response as the correct response.

Thanks!

Tim

Korbi Anis

Hi friends , emm Maybe I waant to do some changements on the macro . the coordinates are decalared like String . so I want to read them like double. So I like I saidd before I wanto to read stl file espacially lines began with Vertex (word) and read coordinates rint the right side like Double . can you help me ! thanks

Christian Chu

use cdbl function which will covert string to double

Korbi Anis

Dear Christian , I changed the macro using cdbl function but it deas not work too !!

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Dim strFilename As String: strFilename = "C:\jk.stl"

Debug.Print strFilename

Dim strTextLine As String

Dim iFile As Integer: iFile = FreeFile

Open strFilename For Input As #iFile

Debug.Print strFilename & " Opened."

Do Until EOF(1)

Line Input #1, strTextLine

Dim TempString As String

TempString = UCase(Trim(strTextLine))

'Debug.Print "TempString = " & TempString

If Left(TempString, 6) = "VERTEX" Then

Dim myString As String

Dim coordinates As String            ----------------> ( I changed it to "Double")

coordinates = Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len("vertex"))     ---------> cdbl( coordinates = Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len("vertex"))   )

Debug.Print "Found vertex with coordinates: " & coordinates

End If

Loop

Close #iFile

MsgBox "Process complete."

End Sub

Christian Chu

I don't see any line which you included the cdbl function

should be like this

dim dCorrd as double

dCoord = cdbl(StringofCharacter)

Korbi Anis

I changed it ! but the same probleme it does not work I think thare are a mistake anywhere

Sub main()

Debug.Print strFilename

Do Until EOF(1)

Dim TempString As String

Dim myString As String

Dim coordinates As Double

coordinates =  cdbl( Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len("vertex"))   )

End If

Loop

Close #iFile

End Sub

Christian Chu

Not sure what you mean it didn't work

Please capture the debug.print and post here

Can you break down

dim sTemp as string

sTemp = Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len("vertex"))

and dim dTemp as double

dTemp = cdbl (sTemp)

Christian Chu

Put  comment on 2 lines as shown on the image and capture the screen of debug of

debug.print coordinates and post here, please

I suspect, there comma between  the string ???

Korbi Anis

lI did some research on google and I found that CDBL function is used like this CDBL( expression)

so the probleme I think that our expression is a coordinates for example like this  : "8.1012954711914062 -59.383426666259766 39.932231903076172" ....

Christian Chu

I got it now, it's space, not comma

The expression is ok, I just wanted you to break so I can see what it is

There are spaces between the numbers, you need to break them before you can convert each to double

Korbi Anis

I think we have the same idea but how can I delete the space in the expression and after read each nupmber alone like a double ?

Christian Chu

Try this to break x, y, and  z corrd - replace sTemp with  your coordinates

Dim sTemp As String

Dim strArray() As String

sTemp = "-12.21548 12.35589 -15.232145"

strArray = Split(sTemp, " ") 

For i = LBound(strArray) To UBound(strArray)

Debug.Print Trim(strArray(i))

Next

Here is what I got from this code

Korbi Anis

now its ok I can read each coordinate separately but when I tried to use CDBL function its does not work

Korbi Anis

very strangr !!! for me the macro does not work offff !!

Sub main()

Debug.Print strFilename

Do Until EOF(1)

Dim TempString As String

Dim sTemp As String, stemp2 As String

Dim strArray() As String

Dim dTemp As Double

sTemp = Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len("vertex"))

strArray = Split(sTemp, " ")

For i = LBound(strArray) To UBound(strArray)

stemp2 = Trim(strArray(i))

dTemp = CDbl(stemp2)

Next

End If

Loop

Close #iFile

End Sub

Christian Chu

Can you comment all the bottom part and show me what's sTemp in the debug.print

or you can replace sTemp with something like "12.12354 -25.2325488 45.2325888" and run the macro

Tim Webb

Hi Korbi,

I had a few minutes this afternoon to absorb your intent and determine what you needed...then wrote some code.

You need a "structure" to store the coordinates so I've added one called "PartCoordinates" then Dim'd an array of that structure type to stuff all the coordinates into.

Here's the complete code. It works well.

Dim swApp As Object

Private Type xyzCoordinates
                                                                                xcoordinate As Double
                                                                                ycoordinate As Double
                                                                                zcoordinate As Double
                                                                            End Type

Sub main()

Dim PartCoordinates() As xyzCoordinates
                                                                            Dim strFilename As String: strFilename = "<full file path to the STL file>"

Debug.Print strFilename

Dim i As Integer
                                                                            i = 0
                                                                            Do Until EOF(1)
                                                                                Dim TempString As String
                                                                                Debug.Print "TempString = " & TempString
                                                                                    Dim myString As String
                                                                                    Dim coordinates As String
                                                                                    Dim finalcoords() As String

coordinates = Trim(Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len("vertex")))

finalcoords = Split(coordinates, " ")
                                                                                    Debug.Print "finalcoords(0): " & finalcoords(0)
                                                                                    Debug.Print "finalcoords(1): " & finalcoords(1)
                                                                                    Debug.Print "finalcoords(2): " & finalcoords(2)
                                                                                    If i = 0 Then
                                                                                        ReDim PartCoordinates(0)
                                                                                    Else
                                                                                        ReDim Preserve PartCoordinates(UBound(PartCoordinates) + 1)
                                                                                    End If
                                                                                    PartCoordinates(i).xcoordinate = CDbl(finalcoords(0))
                                                                                    PartCoordinates(i).ycoordinate = CDbl(finalcoords(1))
                                                                                    PartCoordinates(i).zcoordinate = CDbl(finalcoords(2))
                                                                                    i = i + 1
                                                                                End If
                                                                            Loop

Dim j As Integer
                                                                            For j = 0 To UBound(PartCoordinates)
                                                                                Debug.Print "x-coordinate: " & CStr(PartCoordinates(j).xcoordinate)
                                                                                Debug.Print "y-coordinate: " & CStr(PartCoordinates(j).ycoordinate)
                                                                                Debug.Print "z-coordinate: " & CStr(PartCoordinates(j).zcoordinate)
                                                                            Next j

Close #iFile

End Sub

I've highlighted the code I added today to get it to work.

1.png

Hope this is the solution to what you need.

Tim CEPA

Believe in The Q!

Korbi Anis

Hi dear Tim , sorry to be late , Thank you very much forThis code! Unfortunately I tried to run it but it does not work

Tim Webb

Ok Korbi

Please paste ALL your code from this module. I have a feeling you left something out like declaring the PartCoordinates above like this:

1.png

Korbi Anis

Hi Tim , thanks for your aswer !    This is the code that I used but it does not work yet !

*********************************************************

Dim swApp As Object

Private Type xyzcoordinates

xcoordinate As Double

ycoordinate As Double

zcoordinate As Double

End Type

Sub main()

Dim PartCoordinates() As xyzcoordinates

Debug.Print strFilename

Debug.Print strFilename & "Opened."

Dim i As Integer

i = 0

Do Until EOF(1)

Dim TempString As String

Debug.Print "TempString=" & TempString

If Left(TempString, 6) = "vertex" Then

Dim myString As String

coordinates = Trim(Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len("vertex")))

Debug.Print "Found  vertex  with coordinates :" & coordinates

finalcoords = Split(coordinates, "")

Debug.Print "finalcoords(0): " & finalcoords(0)

Debug.Print "finalcoords(1): " & finalcoords(1)

Debug.Print "finalcoords(2): " & finalcoords(2)

If i = 0 Then

ReDim PartCoordinates(0)

Else

End If

i = i + 1

End If

Loop

Dim j As Integer

Debug.Print "y-coordinate: " & CStr(PartCoordinates(j).xcoordinate)

Debug.Print "z-coordinate: " & CStr(PartCoordinates(j).xcoordinate)

Next j

Close #iFile

End Sub

Korbi Anis

Very strange I tried to evaluate to macto another time and it s the same probleme . I don't understand what's the mistake !

Tim Webb

Hi again Korbi!

It's not very strange and yes it was a mistake you made, you didn't copy and paste the entire code! I ran your code and it doesn't work for me either and I found the error but I'm not going to tell you because I can see you did not copy the entire code block into your program.

Please, if you are going to ask for assistance, copy and paste the entire code block provided by those who help you because it was a simple troubleshooting error where you left out a space. Do I have your word that you will copy and paste the whole code block?

Here is the final code I am running which works! I added a little bit more code to tighten up the scan but I'm not going to tell you where it is because I don't want you to just try to copy one or two lines, I want you to copy this ENTIRE code block and REPLACE your ENTIRE code block with this block.

Dim swApp As Object

Private Type xyzCoordinates
                                                                                                  xcoordinate As Double
                                                                                                  ycoordinate As Double
                                                                                                  zcoordinate As Double
                                                                                              End Type
                                                                                              Private Const ScanText As String = "VERTEX"

Sub main()

Dim PartCoordinates() As xyzCoordinates
                                                                                              Dim strFilename As String: strFilename = "C:\Users\tim.webb\OneDrive\Business Development\EPDM add-ins\SW Read STL file coordinates\STL File\jk.stl"

'Debug.Print strFilename

Dim i As Integer
                                                                                              i = 0
                                                                                              Do Until EOF(1)
                                                                                                  Dim TempString As String
                                                                                              '    Debug.Print "TempString = " & TempString
                                                                                                  If UCase(Left(TempString, 6)) = ScanText Then
                                                                                                      Dim myString As String

coordinates = Trim(Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len(ScanText)))
                                                                                              '        Debug.Print "Found vertex with coordinates: " & coordinates

finalcoords = Split(coordinates, " ")
                                                                                              '        Debug.Print "finalcoords(0): " & finalcoords(0)
                                                                                              '        Debug.Print "finalcoords(1): " & finalcoords(1)
                                                                                              '        Debug.Print "finalcoords(2): " & finalcoords(2)
                                                                                                      If i = 0 Then
                                                                                                          ReDim PartCoordinates(0)
                                                                                                      Else
                                                                                                      End If
                                                                                                      i = i + 1
                                                                                                  End If
                                                                                                  DoEvents
                                                                                              Loop

Dim j As Integer
                                                                                                  Debug.Print "y-coordinate: " & CStr(PartCoordinates(j).ycoordinate)
                                                                                                  Debug.Print "z-coordinate: " & CStr(PartCoordinates(j).zcoordinate)
                                                                                                  DoEvents
                                                                                              Next j

Close #iFile

End Sub

Tim CEPA

Believe in The Q!

Korbi Anis

If we consider this macro for example , the result is the string in the right side for exemple : [ 0.88582742214202881 -64.497276306152344 39.931648254394531]   ok ? so the goal is to transform this side in Double but the probleme that if we transform it directly l As Double the macro wel read it like a same number not separately number  ( X=0.88582742214202881 , Y=64.497276306152344  , Z=39.931648254394531) . I need your help friends !

Sub main()

Debug.Print strFilename

Do Until EOF(1)

Dim TempString As String

coordinates = Right(TempString, Len(TempString) - Len("vertex"))

Debug.Print coordinates

End If

Loop

Close #iFile

End Sub