9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 11:39 AM by Rick McDonald

solidworks locks up

Lino Stavole

I have solidworks 2016 and my system is:

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 10 Home
      Version10.0.14393 Build 14393
      System Typex64-based PC
      ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/DateAmerican Megatrends Inc. 1.05.05, 10/5/2016
      SMBIOS Version3.0
      Embedded Controller Version255.255
      BIOS ModeUEFI
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM)64.0 GB
      Total Physical Memory63.9 GB
      Available Physical Memory53.9 GB
      Total Virtual Memory73.4 GB
      Available Virtual Memory62.9 GB
      Page File Space9.50 GB

Starting today solidworks locks up simply by drawing a line or doing drawing in open sketch.

I have reinstalled.

When the program closes I no longer can open solidworks unless I restart.

All add-ins are disabled.

Please help.

• Re: solidworks locks up
          Christian Chu

what's the video card?

Lino Stavole

Ok, this is going to sound insane.

But, I remembered I changed the mouse today.

Also, my coworker was using his 3d mouse and having wonky problems as well.

When we eliminated both of those pointer issues. (i.e i used my old mouse and he stopped using his 3d mouse) both of our problems went away!

Paul Salvador

kewl!,.. Glad you recalled your recent mouse change!

..and, for anybody reading,.. do yourselves a huge favor... ALWAYS note (send your self a emal or note it on the calendar) the last few software installs or updates and device (mouse) changes you made... and, if you can, imho,.. ALWAYS, create a "Restore Point" when doing any change. (it's easy and will save you arse) 

Anna Wood

Lino Stavole wrote:

Ok, this is going to sound insane.

But, I remembered I changed the mouse today.

Also, my coworker was using his 3d mouse and having wonky problems as well.

When we eliminated both of those pointer issues. (i.e i used my old mouse and he stopped using his 3d mouse) both of our problems went away!

Glad you got it sorted....  Thank you for taking the time to post a follow up on what fixed your issue.

You might want to mark your response as the correct answer for your question... 

Ryan Dark

Hi Lino,

To expound on what Benjamin Modic said, your machine has an unsupported OS on it which would lead me to believe that this could have an unsupported NVidia GeForce GTX graphics card in it.  If it does then you may find that you are now encountering a pretty well known performance issue (well known around these forums at least) involving an NVidia driver for GTX cards that was released in mid-February.  It has been causing significant performance issues.  The general consensus has been to either update your graphics driver to the latest listed with www.geforce.com or roll the driver back to the version release prior to February 2017.  I think this is what Christian Chu was alluding to with his question.

This is all assuming you have an NVidia GeForce GTX graphics card though.

Lino Stavole

My response to the question about my video card came up after your comment.

It was held up in moderation.

So you are absolutely correct as you can see that my video card is an issue as well.

I was using the latest drivers and until the mouse issue everything was going swimmingly.

So far so good. Several hours without a hiccup.

Rick McDonald

Have you also updated your 3D mouse drivers.

I had hanging issues a couple years ago and if I unplugged the 3D mouse it cleared.

Then I plugged the mouse back in and it still worked.  This happened a few times and then I checked the mouse drivers.

They were old and I updated them and never saw the problems again.

Could be that it was a combination of drivers for different devices conflicting.

Jaja Jojo

I do not recommend this as a solution specially to those rookies when it comes to registry so if your not familiar to registry setting and editing please don't try this at home you need parental guidance. Did you try to reset your solidworks registry because even if you uninstall and reinstall SW sometimes it will function the same as the faulty one. Again you've been warned.

Ive seen many who uses gaming card GPU and the problem they encounter is only one (Its just performance nothing related to locking of SW program) i told this to our previous re seller before we changed it. If GPU affects the installation and SW program error then only quadro and firepro and intel HD P series machine can run solidworks. so if this is true,  then in simple words is that SW will not run on openGL. This is the reason why we changed our re seller becuase every time we have a problem and its actually a bug they said that you have unsupported GPU so we cannot help you