7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 9:57 AM by Ryan Krauskopf

Visualize slow downs?

Ryan Krauskopf

I've been noticing a few quarks with Visualize. One of the benefits I've seen is that you can render in Visualize under gpu mode and continue to model in Solidworks or even render in PV360 simultaneously. Well that is only sometimes. Other times when a render is running my PC is crippled, it's difficult to even navigate the mouse on screen. Is this an issue anyone else has been running into? I thought it had something to do with specific environments, but it seems to be very random at this point. Monitoring all my pc's vitals during a render and nothing is jumping out as out of the ordinary, only 100% gpu usage which is to be expected.

System ModelPrecision Tower 5810
      System Type

x64-based PC

ProcessorIntel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM)32.0 GB
      GPUNvidia Quadro K4200 4GB Driver 376.84
      OSWindows 7 Pro 64x
        • Re: Visualize slow downs?
          Helge Feddersen

Hi Ryan,

i have a similar setup as you - K4200, Win7 etc... whilst doing a lot of playing around in Visualize trying to learn the software i noticed a similar behaviour. the Mouse would simply not budge i.e. working whilst GPU rendering was not a good idea.

I started monitoring the K4200 sensors via CPU-Z.

1) K4200 runs pretty hot (80°C) and was constantly being limited in clock due to Temp.

the Fan would not spin to its max. then used "MSI Afterburner" Software to get a improved fan speed curve (yes this makes the K4200 quite noisy). Temps improved to about 70°C - subjectively this improved the situation somewhat.

2) GPU Memory was maxed out ALWAYS - nothing i could do here other than closing all Windows and loading very simple and easy Models into Visualize. with a little GPU Ram in reserve this seemd to get rid of my issue. Obvioulsy i still had lags due to 100% GPU load but not entirely unworkable.

It also helps to close Visualize - when prompted - during rendering to reduce the GPU Memory used.

It would seem that the K4200 with its 4GB RAM is just too small for Visualize...

br

Helge

Jaja Jojo

Driver that support Visualize is the one with visualize logo not the 64

Helge Feddersen

Jaja Jojo, does this mean you dont have this issue? do you also have the K4200?

Jaja Jojo

N

Hi, Helge i do not have the K4200 but i do have the K5000M ive experience that issue too but when i updated my driver to the one that has a visualize logo and the performance improve a little bit the thing that i encounter is what like Ryan said that the memory is maxed out so when i'm using visualize i use hybrid and leave my table to take a cup off coffee.

As Ryan said maybe 4Gb of memmory is just not have enough horse power, I wish mobile worstation can use SLI

Ryan Krauskopf

I can't install any external software on my computer, only our IT administrators can do that so I can't download any advanced monitoring software. Using the Window's performance monitor I noticed that while the GPU was always 100% usage, it's memory hovered around 40% or so. Temps were in the 70's, I recently pulled my card and cleaned an absurd amount of dust from it so that probably helped on the temp front. I see from Jojo's list that my current driver isn't listed under the recommended/supported drivers for visualize so I guess that might be an issue?

When I first installed Visualize GPU rendering was unavailable with my old driver. After having IT upgrade me to this new one the option became available.

Currently have a ticket in with my IT department to have them install 375.63 to see if that makes a difference. I'll see if I can make a scene that locks up in the mean time, save it, then check to see if the driver issue fixes it.

Ryan Krauskopf

Performed a clean install of graphics driver 375.63. This didn't solve the slow down issue, the same scene still grinds my pc to a halt.

To reiterate it only happens with certain projects, others work fine and my pc behaves normally, being able to model in Solidworks or work in the Adobe suite. I haven't been able to narrow it down, to anything. It's incredibly sporadic, materials, models materials, it's all hit or miss.

Doing some more testing and monitoring now, rending the same assembly, same materials, same environment in one project that lags, one project that doesn't lag. The only difference I see is that the project that lags is locked at 100% gpu usage without changing, the one that doesn't lag bounces around from in the high 9X%

GPU memory usage is never at 100% for me, it varies from like 40% to 70% on both lagging and non lagging projects.

Ryan Krauskopf

Anyone else have any ideas on what's going on?