10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 2:36 PM by Paul Salvador

Sketch references

Corey Ash

Hi, I am new to Solidworks 2017 and am currently geared towards Creo.  I would like to simply select sketch references on the face of a part (edges, plane intersections, circles, etc)  so that my sketch geometry will snap properly in place.  Thanks.

• Re: Sketch references
          Dan Pihlaja

I would start here:

Kyle Craig

Hi Corey,

Can you describe a specific problem?  Perhaps with a screenshot to explain what it is you're trying to achieve? 

when you have a sketch tool active (like line tool) when your sketching on a face, hover over any edge, vertex  to snap to it. keep any eye on what the feedback is telling you next to the cursor.  there is a symbol that shows up for edge,  vertex and face. 

Corey Ash

Hey Kyle,

So I am trying to sketch a rectangle on the surface of a bushing (see below).  The rectangle needs to be symmetric about the centerline and have all 4 corners coincident to the circle.  I need to also draw the arc section between the vertical entities of the rectangle. (In other words, this rectangle represents a saw blade cut to halve the bushing.  In creo, if you created a centerline and established the first corner of the rectangle, the second corner would snap to the other side of the circle and recognize the symmetry about the centerline.  Then I could just trim the outer circle in order to keep the arc length between the cut sketch.  Thanks in advance.

issue1.PNG

Glenn Schroeder

Sketch geometry will snap into place if these options are enabled at Tools > Options > Sketch > Relations/Snaps.

Nathan Rollins

Hi Corey - welcome to SolidWorks!  SWX sketcher constraints work sort of backwards from ProE.  As you're sketching, the cursor shows you inferences that the sketcher will make for you .  Yellow icons will stick and be applied to the sketch, but white icons will put the geometry as is implied, but the constraint will not stick. 

Then, as you select entities, the instant pop-up dialog that shows when you let go of the click will present to you the various constraints available for what is selected (e.g. an arc selected will not show a vertical constraint...etc)

2017-03-14_13-45-35.jpg

OK - I am not going to baby you anymore with the Creo terminology.  These are called "Relations" now.  What you used to know as "relations" are now called "equations"  (You will find that similar learnings will be needed for family tables, parameters, etc...)

The beauty that you need to force yourself to appreciate is that you don't need to pre-select your sketching "references" - SolidWorks treats ALL existing geometry as a potential for a relation reference.  However, the automatic inferring of a relation sometimes needs to be coerced - or taught. For example - if you want to relate an end point of a line to the center of an existing round hole, you may need to hover your cursor over the edge of the hole until you're shown some dashed geometry highlighting the holes center and edges.  Once you see this highlight, you can confidently move your cursor to the center and the endpoint you're dragging will get snapped to the center.

Also - you will find frustrating (even after 5 years of heavy SWX use, I still do...) SWX will not use a planar face for relation reference geometry.  You will be FORCED to use edges for reference geometry in a sketch.  Yes, even the tangent edges of fillets.

Hope this helps some...

-Nate

Christian Chu

As Dan Pihlaja suggested, you'd better go thru the tutorial from your SW software

in the mean time, you can drag any entity such as line, point and they will be snapped to the other existing entities (with the snap option on)