5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2017 8:50 PM by Paul Salvador

Solidworks crashes creating reference plane Win10

Alfonso De Torres

When i go and select for example a vortex of an assembly as reference point for a new reference plane the program crashes every time.

This performance issues never happened in my system before, i installed solidworks again yesterday after i formatted my pc a few weeks ago.

I tested the OpenGL mode as some posts suggest, and while it doesn't seem to crash with that enabled, the program runs way too slow with that enabled, i think i have more than enough capable system to model this simple assembly. As i said i worked  a lot on this exact system past year and never had any perfomance issues.

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: GTX 970 3.5 Gb

RAM: 16 Gb

Win10 1607

Rx file attached, please help.

• Re: Solidworks crashes creating reference plane Win10
          Ryan Dark

Hi Alfonso,

The testing you have done (using software openGL to have the crash subside) shows directly that the graphics hardware or drivers is the cause of this crash.  The only two zero-cost suggestions I could make would be to 1) try using different driver versions from www.geforce.com to see if the behavior can be improved or 2) using the software openGL toggle in the program just for making planes and turn it off when you don't need to.  Ultimately, the program isn't designed for that hardware so there are no specific drivers that we could suggest that would necessarily be a silver bullet for your issue.

Shaodun Lin

Hey:

You are using SW2015SP5.0. and Microsft Office 2016.

But based on the chart below, MS Office 2016 is not supported for SW2015.

And NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 is not a certified graphic card, that might contribute to stability issue.

SOLIDWORKS

Use this information to ensure you are always working with a SOLIDWORKS supported and optimized system for hardware, operating system and Microsoft products.

SOLIDWORKS

Operating SystemsSOLIDWORKS

(EDU
            2015-2016)
            SOLIDWORKS

(EDU
            2016-2017)
            SOLIDWORKS

(EDU
            2017-2018)
            Windows 10, 64-bit (2015 SP5)
            Windows 8.1, 64-bit
            Windows 8.0, 64-bit
            Windows 7 SP1, 64-bit (only)
            Hardware
            RAM8GB or more recommended
            Video CardCertified cards and drivers
            ProcessorIntel or AMD with SSE2 support. 64-bit operating system required
            Install MediaDVD Drive or Broadband Internet Connection
            Microsoft Products
            Internet ExplorerIE 9,10,11IE 10,11IE 11
            Excel and Word2010, 20132010, 2013, 2016 (2016 SP3)2010, 2013, 2016
            Other
            Anti-VirusSupported Anti-Virus Products
            NetworkMicrosoft Windows networking. Novell networks and non-Windows network storage devices are not supported
            Virtual environmentsSupported virtual environments
              Shaodun Lin

Your Windows Application Event file clearly indicates the crash was due to nVidia driver.

2017-03-12_23-05-53.png

------------------------------------------

Shaodun Lin

Technical Account Manager - APAC

------------------------------------------