10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2017 8:59 AM by Dave Bear

I cant successfully fully define my sketch

Narveen K.

Hi All,

I am a student in my local university and I am using Solidworks 2016 granted rights from my school,

the issue i have is that i cant successfully define my sketch,

while following a tutorial video link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C8gy-OI1GU&t=324s&list=LLvZMmE95pb2NMaaGI3iTUaQ&index=1

i.e. 5:16 min mark the Tutor proceeded to click a fully define sketch.

I followed his procedure all the way and i get yellow and red lines with dimensions in those colors (refer to attachment)

please help educate me in rectifying this.

Many Thanks

Narveen

• Re: I cant successfully fully define my sketch
          Kevin Pymm

Narveen,

In your sketch you have a point that appears to be under defined as shown in image below. If you try to drag that point it won't move but SolidWorks will fully define the sketch, which is weird because you can still drag the spline handle around (on the left) & adjust the spline.

Narveen K.

Hi Kevin,

thank you for your reply, but i do not understand what u mean

i try to define it and i get this

By any chance have u succeeded in using my file and getting the "fully define sketch tool" with all black lines just like the video cuz i havent and i keep getting prompt making the dimensions driven which i find it weird cuz the video was never prompt with this...

regards

Kevin Pymm

Narveen,

You added an extra dimension (6.05), all I did was drag the blue junction point I circled with my mouse & the sketch became fully defined. I've had this happen in SolidWorks before were SolidWorks thinks it's under defined, you drag the blue portion, it won't move but suddenly the sketch is fully defined without adding any extra dimensions or relations.

Tateos Tvapanyan

Did you uncheck the Relation option?

Capture.JPG

Narveen K.

wow  thanks, what does the relations mean?

Mark McMullen

I wish I could explain this, it's been an inner fight with myself

and Solidworks trying to figure it out good luck, I've not met

anyone who truly understands it and I've used it for 15 yrs.

now.

I meant relations in general not just this one it self.

Rick Becker

Mark McMullen wrote:

I wish I could explain this...

I've not met anyone who truly understands it and I've used it for 15 yrs.

This looks like something that Jim Wilkinson could tackle.

Jim Wilkinson

I am not sure why the sketch is currently showing underdefined and without knowing how it got into this state, there probably isn't much that can be done. Anything that kicks in a solve of the sketch will resolve it and list it as fully defined. For instance:

• Drag the blue point as previously mentioned.
                                • Double click on any dimension to change it (it appears to solves as soon as you double click) and just cancel out.
                                • Go to Tools, Sketch Settings, Automatic Solve and toggle it off and back on.

Since the sketch thinks it is underdefined but is fully defined, the Fully Define Sketch command attempts to add dimensions/relations to make it fully defined and because it already is fully defined, it goes overdefined instead. The difference between having relations on or off in that command and different resulting behavior probably relates to the dimension/relation it tries to add and whether that added item just causes a redundant relation or something that will actually make it go overdefined.

Spline handle colors are explained here:

2016 SOLIDWORKS Help - Spline Handles

The dark blue means they are activated (meaning driving the spline shape with the values in the PropertyManager), but not being constrained by dimensions or relations (they turn black in that case). Adding dimensions or relations in the graphics area to drive them is optional, but the spline with dark blue handles is still fully defined regardless of using the optional dimension. Here is the help topic on spline handles which talks about using dimensions as an alternative to the PropertyManager (and also if you want to drive the handles through design tables):

2016 SOLIDWORKS Help - Dimensioning to Spline Handles

I hope this helps,

Jim

Mark McMullen

You'll see in my jpeg that all I did was add a parallel relation to the line in the rectangle

box to the line in the circle and everything was defined then.

Dave Bear

Hi Narveen,

Just as a footnote here, and I'm willing to apologise if I'm incorrect in saying this, but using the 'Fully define sketch tool' is probably a bad habit to get into for a student (which you stated you were). Any sketch that you do you should be able to fully define by yourself. Think of the tool as a 'Last Resort' method and somewhat of a cheat's way out in most cases. Obviously you know what function it has, and it is part of SolidWorks for a purpose, but there is a lot to be learned by being able to fully define a sketch yourself. Just saying...............

Dave