1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 12, 2017 11:45 AM by Ryan Dark

The Iterative Solver stopped. The solver has numerical difficulties. Model may not have adequate fixtures. No results saved.

Hassan Samad

hello, I designed a elbow 90degree, 64inch.

PSI is 150 (internal pressure).

I have done the fixtures, fixed geometry on the both ends of the elbow.

material properties is done, which is cast iron.

the information was taken from this website: http://www.starpipeproducts.com/pdf/utility/catalog/UCAT1201/flanged.pdf

mesh is good but when i run simulation for the results, it just shows this error "The Iterative Solver stopped. The solver has numerical difficulties. Model may not have adequate fixtures. No results saved"

I have tried everything but still showing this message, i don't know where i am going wrong.

Can someone please have a look at my design and see if there is any problem?

i am uploading the part.

thankyou

• Re: The Iterative Solver stopped. The solver has numerical difficulties. Model may not have adequate fixtures. No results saved.
          Ryan Dark

Hi Hassan,

This is a common question that comes up a lot on this forum.  The model is definitely unstable but tracking down how it is unstable is the real problem.  I went through a quick stability diagnosis in a duplicate of your study like this:

1. Go into the study 'Properties'

Turn on 'Use soft springs to stabilize model'

Turn off 'Compute free body forces'

Turn off 'Large displacement mode'

2. Suppress all loads and apply only gravity

3. Mesh/Run the study

4. When the solver stops due to large displacements and prompts to put the study into 'Large Displacement mode' declined this offer.  The solver will dump what results it has so far

5. Inspect the displacement plot in the results to find the unrestrained body

The results showed one body was not attached to the rest:

Since you have a Global Bonded contact definition in place already you may wan to create specific bonded contact sets to bond the elbow onto the flange ends.