AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can an Excel spreadsheet query model for use in Property Tab Builder?

Question asked by Jim Steinmeyer on Mar 9, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 by Deepak Gupta

Ok, I am attempting to become more dangerous than I already am. I am learning to create a property tab with PTB and have come to an issue that stumps me. I want to enter the weight as a custom property but I want to truncate it. Setting "Weight" to be (SW-Mass) will give my weight but it goes to 6 decimal points. I have an equation that will truncate the number to two points in my start parts but I am not sure how that would work if I use the PTB to place properties in older parts.

My plan so far has been to have my equations create a global variable and set the custom property to that variable. This I can do. I can also create a small macro that will create the equations in the older parts easily enough and this is where I suspect I will end up.

BUT I am also reading about creating macros in Excel and a light went on in the dim recesses of my mind. Since I am already using a spread sheet to provide for List Groups, what if I could create an Excel macro that would query the model for (SW-Mass) and spit out ROUND ("SW-Mass",2) to have what I need done automatically? I could also do the same with (SW-Surface) and calculate the quantity of paint used. Life would be good.

And then I get to thinking that if the part changes I could now have the wrong information and that would be bad. Unless the equations are in the model rather than in Excel so the model stays up to date.

I think it is time to stop thinking and go home.

Outcomes