2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 2:12 PM by Scott Stuart

Checked out files from old vault view, can't delete or Undo Check Out

Robert Pickeral

I goofed. We are on PDM 2016. It appears I've left (2) files checked out on a PC where (I believe) it was from an old vault view (2015). I've tried logging into that PC and "Undo Check Out" and "Check In" but no success. Any suggestions how I can clean this up? Thank you.

• Re: Checked out files from old vault view, can't delete or Undo Check Out
          Hills Administrator

Robert,

We had a similar issue with PDM Pro 2016 where the vault view was deleted and another created.  There were several files that were checked out from the old view.  Luckily we had backups to go to.  If you do not have backups of the local vault view files, you may be able to retrieve them with "Previous Versions" if that is configured on the PC in question.  Regardless, this is the process we used to successfully clean up the issue.

1 - log off PDM vault, close PDM program (right click system tray PDM icon and "Exit")

2 - From a PC that does not have the PDM vault client installed, use windows explorer to connect to the admin share on the PC in question.  You need to be a system administrator to do this.  For example,   If the PC name is Bob and the vault view is located at C:\Vault  then you would connect to \\Bob\C$\vault

3 - make a backup copy of the desktop.ini settings as that is your current vault view.

4 - restore the C:\vault\desktop.ini file from the old vault view.  If you do not have this file, you may be able to manually reconstruct one if you can find the ViewID.  The ViewID must be in the PDM system someplace otherwise you would not be having the problem you are having.

5 - restore the relevant files that need to be fixed from a backup, or possibly the "Previous Versions" option in windows.  Be sure to restore them to the same path.  For example C:\Vault\Project1\File1.slddrw

6 - reboot PC

7 - login to PDM vault and check files in.

8 - log off PDM vault, close PDM program (right click system tray PDM icon and "Exit")

9 - From a PC that does not have the PDM vault client installed, connect to the admin share on the PC in question.  You will need to be a system administrator to do this.  For example,   If the PC name is Bob and the vault view is located at C:\Vault  then you would connect to \\Bob\C$\vault

10 - delete the "old vault view" desktop.ini (or rename it in case you think you need it again)

11 - rename the backup copy of desktop.ini you made in step 3 back to desktop.ini

12 - reboot PC

You should be all set then.

Regards,

Todd

Hills, inc.

• Re: Checked out files from old vault view, can't delete or Undo Check Out
            Scott Stuart

If you don't need the modified copy of the checked out file, the PDM admin user can undo checkout.