AnsweredAssumed Answered

Open ended or dead end cuts

Question asked by Nathan Mayhorn on Mar 5, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 6, 2017 by John Stoltzfus

Hello all, brand new user here.  I just purchased Solidworks and completed an essentials training course.  I plan on using the software to design packaging and will probably be using mostly sheet metal features.  Unfortunately it will be several weeks before I'll be able to take the sheet metal class.  So hopefully the users on this board can help me out the interim.

Hopefully you can see the attached images.  The issue I'm having is that my current software would allow open ended cuts as long as the exterior of the parts was fully connect(air tight).  As you can see on the tray part all 4 corners have a cut leading into the corner and ending at the score lines.  So far I'm having an issue with SW letting my do this.  I could change the design so that there is a slot there but I prefer this since it offers slightly easier material stripping when die cut.  Is there anyway I can get around this?  This definitely won't be the only time I run into this issue.  I like to call it using common knife and I like to use it whenever it's possible .

This part is very simplified but very typical of the type of designs I'll be working on everyday so I'm open to any suggestions on how to create these.  My current thought process is to sketch the basic outside shape.  Then create with a baseline flange the add a new sketch using construction lines for the bends.  Am I even on the right path?  Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Outcomes