4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2017 6:30 AM by Dave Bear

How to install SW15-16 Student Edition to Win 10 on Lenovo P50

F. Leatin

I recently purchased a copy of SW1516 Student Ed. It came as a two disc set. There is a serial number in the box. My Lenovo P50 has no disc player. I was told by a SW Rep that I can download this version from a site online. He emailed a couple of links to click. I've tried to go though the process a couple of times but I have not been successful. It seems I'm doing something wrong.

Anybody who can give me accurate step by step instructions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Frank

• Re: How to install SW15-16 Student Edition to Win 10 on Lenovo P50
          Dave Bear

Hi Frank,

I know it's Sunday (or at least it is here in Australia lol) but your best bet would be to either contact your lecturer, the person you got the software from, or the SW rep you have spoken to. You could use another computer to copy the disks to a thumb drive and then install that way also............ Just a thought!

Dave.

F. Leatin

Goo' Day Dave,

Yes it's Sunday here too. But a different time I'm sure. Your first three suggestions are "no goes".  But I got it on anyway. I was able to get an external player.

So NOW I finally got my first copy of SW on my LT.

Now my next problems are:

1.Trying to get it configured to act and do the same things as the SW videos show ? Like when I hover the cursors over the icons, the message should open to explain it.

2. I also noticed during install I have a SP2 version. I'm trying to figure out if I can update to SP5?

Are you a member of any user groups Dave ?

Now Back to pulling my hair out.

Frank

Dave Bear

Hi Frank,

Very glad you are up and running!

As for question number 1.

I'm not sure exactly how you get that to react. Possibly a question for your professor my friend.

I'm not a member of any user groups, no. I am self taught but with an immense amount of help from the people here in the forum as well as doing the in-built software tutorials many times over and using the help bar. The tutorials are underrated in my opinion (for a pure beginner that is), there is so much that can be learned from these, hence there reason for being there!

Find something simple around the house, and try to model it.............

Dave.

Jaja Jojo

Hi with regard to your question that if you can upgrade your SP2 to SP5, the answer is sorry you cannot upgrade to SP5 since in the license agreement SW student edition are not eligible for Service Pack.

If your P50 does not have a DVD drive then you can use external DVD drive the one that is portable that you can just plug as like a USB. Another is that asked your SW professor or your classmates if they have the SW installer in their drive that you can copy. Or last resort go to the solidworks student download and download your SW installer but its a huge file its more than 12Gb you need a fast internet connection