6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2017 1:50 PM by Ben D. Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Edit custom property from BOM

Elisabeth Daley

I have a similar question - I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'd like to have the value I type into the BOM appear on the referenced part's datacard.  Currently I have the version-free variable on the datacard and the BOM displaying it, but if you change the value in the BOM, it doesn't update on the part's datacard.  The values can be out of sync, which is obviously a problem.  Is there a way for them to stay linked?  I've tried several of the options for configuring the BOM columns ('Look for variable in referenced configuration'), but it doesn't seem to work.

• Re: Edit custom property from BOM
          Jeff Sweeney

I don't think putting data like this on a data card will work. If that part is used on more than one assembly and it is in more than one purchase state, there is no where to store that on a data card.

Elisabeth Daley

I'm trying to enter info that's specific to the design - entering it through the BOM would just be a convenient way to enter info for all the parts of an assembly at once.  The BOM displays other information like this (part number, description), I'd just like it to be editable.

Ben D.

How about this:

1. Create a separate a separate drawing with an assembly of full project, save it to separate file

2. In this drawing, create an intended type BOM, containing all the elements.

3. Create one additional column and name it "Quantity total", do not assign any value to that column, leave it blank, only write the header of that column. It will be propagated as a "Free text" column inside the PDM BOM.

4. Save, check in this drawing. Now, this BOM inside the drawing can be accessed from PDM BOM tab. This method is better than standard PDM BOM computed type, because, for example, you can have more flexible BOM in the drawing, like "Equation" based columns, combining two or more custom properties, custom text, etc.

5. Save this drawing BOM in PDM as a separate named BOM

6. Now you can enter any value in this column, and it will become orange if edited. You can also change other values, and if you want to come back to original values propagated from original custom properties - clean out that individual cell.

Ben D.

Elisabeth Daley wrote:

I'd like to have the value I type into the BOM appear on the referenced part's datacard. Currently I have the version-free variable on the datacard and the BOM displaying it,

Basically, version-free variable has a different meaning: it represents the value which is consistent for all versions. From the help:

----------------------------------------------------------

You can update variables for a file without having to check the file out and increment the version of the file when you check it back in.

This lets you update variables that change over time, such as cost, while the file itself may not change.

Additionally, you can change the variable even if the file is in a state where you do not have permission to check it out.

A new version of a file is created if you update version free variables for a checked out file.

Under Update versions, do one of the following:

• Select All Versions to make the variable update affect all versions and revisions of the file.
                • Select Latest Version to make the update affect only the latest version of the file.
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                But this is still a variable constant to a part/assembly, and it can not be dependent on which BOM this element is used in, as Jeff stated.