1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2017 12:29 PM by Ryan Dark

Could not open the service pack database...

Doug Kohring

I'm our start-up company's CAD guy, we have no IT department/person.

My system began crashing lately and I've been getting a warning at Solid Works start up to run the system diagnostics. When I run he SWRx most lines come back with green checks accept the last three which get yellow 'X'.

X   Could not open the service pack database, the server may be busy, please try again later

X   A process sldworks.exe is currently running, if ..... [I was running Solid Works]

X   Toolbox is loaded on a local drive. This may not be an appropriate location if the toolbox parts are shared.....

How important are these and if they are important how can I fix the problem(s)?  Thanks - Doug

• Re: Could not open the service pack database...
          Ryan Dark

Hi Doug,

These three items are of very little importance and likely don't relate to the crashing at all.

• The service pack database not being reached is a bug that has been open for quite a while.  You can always go to 'Help', 'Check for Updates' in SolidWorks to get the latest release which works perfectly fine.
          • This means the program is probably just open.  No big deal.
          • The toolbox is a database that is best shared among users if there are customization inside of it.  This is why it is recommending a shared location like PDM or a network drive.  It is not a huge thing if it is left local.

Your crashing probably relates to other things though like what hardware is in the machine and where you are storing/accessing your CAD data from.  If you want to post up what the make/mode, CPU, GPU, and OS for the machine are along with whether you are storing the CAD data on a network area we can all take a closer look at it and see if there are areas to improve.