4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 11:15 AM by Jim Wilkinson

preview pane not working

Hjalmar Breit

I can not get a preview of parts, assemblies or drawings in the "open file" window. The pane is turned on and there, but no preview?

• Re: preview pane not working
          Dan Pihlaja

There have been a lot of "fixes" for this.

Read the link below and do a search and see if some of those options will work for you.

Forum Posting

I have tried a lot of them (if not all of them, but I can't be sure).  And some of them work...........until they don't.

I don't understand the problem with why some parts don't show a preview and some do, but it is definitely an intermittent problem that keeps coming back for me.

Sometimes, I will see nothing for the preview, sometimes, I will see a Solidworks icon for the preview, sometimes, I will see the part/assembly/drawing, but zoomed way out or way in, and sometimes it works perfectly.   Sometimes, I will see ALL these things on the same part in the same day.

At the least, make sure this is checked:

Carlos Marquez

Hello gentlemen, this no visibility of the preview pane is driving me crazy! I've had the issue for a long time and finally decided to do something about it. I went through all the trouble shooting that I could find on the internet up until I had to mess with the registry. Then I called in the big guns (our IT guy) because I'm not that savvy when it comes to digging deep into the computer technical areas. My IT guy reloaded the registries .DLL and come to our surprise that didn't work. So it must be a Solidworks issue. I started to look at what are the items that do not preview, and what I came to realize is that the items not previewing are the assemblies that I create from existing parts in an assembly or I create another assembly from an assembly. I tried this just this morning and to my surprise, that is the case. I'm not saying that I have discovered the root cause, but I'm saying it is a high probably that this may be the issue at hand. Has anyone else seen this happening?

Dan Pihlaja

Interesting.  Definitely merits further testing.    Please, get your VAR involved and share your findings.

Also, Jim Wilkinson might be able to shed some light.

Jim Wilkinson

Carlos Marquez wrote:

Hello gentlemen, this no visibility of the preview pane is driving me crazy! I've had the issue for a long time and finally decided to do something about it. I went through all the trouble shooting that I could find on the internet up until I had to mess with the registry. Then I called in the big guns (our IT guy) because I'm not that savvy when it comes to digging deep into the computer technical areas. My IT guy reloaded the registries .DLL and come to our surprise that didn't work. So it must be a Solidworks issue. I started to look at what are the items that do not preview, and what I came to realize is that the items not previewing are the assemblies that I create from existing parts in an assembly or I create another assembly from an assembly. I tried this just this morning and to my surprise, that is the case. I'm not saying that I have discovered the root cause, but I'm saying it is a high probably that this may be the issue at hand. Has anyone else seen this happening?

Hi Carlos,

This is actually a limitation. Previews and thumbnails can only be saved if the document in question has been saved when being viewed in its own window. Otherwise, there is no independent graphics data to be saved into the preview/thumbnail. So, some cases where this can happen as you have discovered are when using Form New Subassembly, Insert Component from Selected Components, Insert Component New Part/Assembly, etc.

If you see a file with no preview/thumbnail, open the file independently and then save it and it should have the preview.

I hope this helps,

Jim