6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 6:21 AM by Jim Wilkinson

Frequent Crashes

Steve Crompton

Dear Solidworks

I do like the software really but come on, please get 2017 fixed so that its usable. I'm getting a bit bored of seeing this every half hour.

Its bad enough that its crashing frequently but then I have to wait 4 minutes for solidworks to then start up again because of the software sitting there waiting to start.

Roll on SP3 with some meaningful fixes please.

Rant over!!!

Steve

• Re: Frequent Crashes
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Steve,

Please see the technical alert here regarding long startup times relating to certain virus software. Your VAR should be able to help you troubleshoot that and get a remedy (the solution has been different for different customers depending on the virus software, so you should work with your VAR for potential solutions)

Technical Alerts & News | SOLIDWORKS

Also, your VAR should be able to help you troubleshoot the crashing issues by looking at crash logs, etc. and either find a solution for you if it is some sort of problem or conflict on your machine or if it is a problem with SOLIDWORKS, get the information to our teams that can help resolve them.

Thanks,
          Jim

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Steve,

I see that in another thread, you've already contacted your VAR about the startup times and gotten the SPR. I'm sorry you haven't come to a solution on that one. Our development team is looking into finding a general remedy for it on our end, but three solutions that other users have seen are:

1. Uninstall and reinstall the antivirus application (I know you said you can't do this).
              2. Unplug the network cable/suspend wireless internet when starting up SOLIDWORKS.
              3. Add the following files to the exclusion list for the antivirus software:

sldBgDwld.exe

sldProcMon.exe

SLDWORKS.exe

sldworks_fs.exe

The location of those files depends on where they have been installed so you would have to search for them. It may be that not all of them need to be excluded to solve the problem so if

I still do recommend contacting the VAR to troubleshoot the frequent crashing. Some users have had their problems solved completely by a change on their machine. If it is a problem with SOLIDWORKS (either a file corruption or something wrong in the software itself), if you don't report/troubleshoot the issue, you are relying on someone else having and reporting the same exact issue which may not be the case.

Thanks,

Jim

Steve Crompton

Hi Jim

Regarding the start up Ive tried all of those things including the exclusions but nothing changed unfortunately.

Regarding the other issues Ive been in contact with my VAR to report them. I've done a clean reinstall to try to see if that would help but it didn't.

I am seeing crashed by various ways such as simply opening a part, clicking in the screen, rotating a part. Its not one thing that seems to be making it crash. One thing I do know is that I didn't get anywhere near this amount of crashes on 2016 sp5.

All my issues have started since installing 2017.

Thanks

Steve

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Steve,

On the random crashing, all of the things you mention sound potentially related to graphics refreshes so that is one potential place to look. You could try running in Software OpenGL for a little while to see if the problems go away in which case, you at least have a direction to look for further troubleshooting. With no documents open, go to Tools, Options, System Options, Performance and then turn on "Use software OpenGL". It will most likely be slower depending on your graphics card, but again, may help to diagnose.

Also, did your VAR look at your crash logs? If not, that is another thing you may want to ask them to do since they may see a common thread in the logs to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
                      Jim