2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 12:51 PM by Christopher Wilson

What has been some of the secret ingredients to successful User Groups in the past?  Thanks.

Christopher Wilson

I’m thinking about starting a local SW-PDM User Group and am looking for some secrets of success (other than PIZZA)?

Thanks.

• Re: What has been some of the secret ingredients to successful User Groups in the past?  Thanks.
          Edson Gebo

Hi Chris,

First you need to poll your area to see if that subject alone is strong enough to attract what you think would make for great meetings.  Maybe you could start a common SWUG and make it PDM heavy?  Where would this group be located?

See below if you do jump in...

• Passion...bring that into every meeting and watch your group grow.
          • Entertain...you are taking people away from thier families for 3 hours, make it worth thier while.
          • Consistency...make it a staple to have X amount of meetings a year.
          • Creative...don't be afraid to try new venues.  You will actually attract more members.
          • You...you are the secret sauce on top of that pizza.  Build it and they will come!

Ed-

• Re: What has been some of the secret ingredients to successful User Groups in the past?  Thanks.
              Christopher Wilson

Edson,

You read my mind regarding polling and making a dual purpose group.  We already have a SW User group that I founded back in 2001.  Since then the baton has been passed to several leaders to run the group.  There is a meeting tonight which I plan on attending, and have asked to have the floor for 5 min to get some feedback.

There are definite advantages to feeding off of the existing group, and it may start out that way. The only concern I have with joining up with the existing group, is that they aren't exactly checking all of your bullet points above (which are AWESOME by the way).

• They have always met at the same venue on the same night of the week every other month (for consistency).
              • The current President is running the whole show because users don't want to volunteer.
              • They struggle with attendance and new members (to backfill the ones who no longer attend)
              • And have a tough time coming up with topics (VAR does most the presentations only because no one else will).

I would like to hit a broader target (IT, MGT, etc.) and try venues closer to other target audiences.