6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 5:01 AM by Habib Ghalamkari

Live Section View

Habib Ghalamkari

What is Live Section View?

How can I use it? and how it can be helpful?

Thank you.

• Re: Live Section View
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Habib,

See the help topic on it:

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Instant3D Live Section Planes

Search the forums on it:

https://forum.solidworks.com/search.jspa?q=live%20section

this topic in those search results talks about how people use it, but you should look at the other topics too:

Live Section Plane - Is it useful?

Others may also have more information that they can share about useful uses for it after using it for the past few years since the forum thread above is from 2011.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Habib Ghalamkari

Jim, I'm still confused.

I had already searched and had found nothing useful before posting. and that was why I posted my question.

I appreciate your time for replying but none of your links says what Live section view is and how it can be useful.

Jim Wilkinson

Sorry about that. The first link to the help topic was incorrect and I have corrected it now in the original reply. Here is the link again:

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Instant3D Live Section Planes

Besides for visualization, you can actually drag the edges of the section to modify the geometry which is a pretty unique interface for adjusting feature sizes without having to go back and edit the sketches or features directly. See step 7 in the step by step instructions and watch the video that is linked at the bottom of the help topic.

Although this Youtube video is not in English, it may also be helpful to understand what the Live Section View can do:

Live Section View - YouTube

This was one of the original intents of the Live Section Plane was to give an additional means by which to modify geometry shapes without having to know the exact method of creating the features (it will figure out what feature to modify to make the desired change).

I hope this helps,

Jim

Todd Bush

Is this a option for 2017? or do I have it in 16?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Todd,

Yes, it has been there for years. If you are in a help topic like the one I linked to above, one way to quickly look to see what version a feature may have been added to is to use the "Other versions" pull down list at the top of the topic as shown in the image below:

helpversion.png

Notice some of the versions are in black and if you hover over the black text it says "Go to the same topic in XXXX" which means the same help topic exists in that version too. In those other versions, sometimes the content of the help topic may have changed if the feature has been modified or if we've improved the help topic, but you at least know the functionality existed and you can go back to see how it worked in that version.

If the text is in blue, the tooltip says "Go to XXXX home page". This means that the help topic does not exist in that version which usually means either the functionality didn't exist in that version or the help topic naming doesn't match. We did some pretty large restructuring of the help in SOLIDWORKS 2012 and 2013 due to a change of authoring/content management systems, so jumping back prior to 2013 topics is hit or miss.

If you look at the forum thread I linked to in my original response, that thread was created in 2010 so the functionality has been around since at least then.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Habib Ghalamkari

thanks for your help.

As a side note, I tried to use it, but unfortunately

1. It doesn't work in assemblies
                          2. It works only if the geometry has no dimension attached to it. If it could update the dimension, it could be out of use. but not now.(for me)

Million thanks for your help.