10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 5:00 AM by John Stephen

Solidworks flow simulation

John Stephen

This time I have trouble to figure it out what happened to the flow simulation. I'll attach a snip out of the page and hope somebody out there can sort this out.

Thanks in advance,

John

• Re: Solidworks flow simulation
          Ryan Dark

Hi John,

Your image is truncated so I can't tell but have you created a flow project yet?

Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi John,

Right-click the Command Manager and select the "Customize" option. The toolbar customization dialog box will appear. Please notice if there are numerous "Flow Simulation" tabs on the Command Manager. If yes delete all the tabs. Reset the Flow simulation add-in (turn off/on) and see if this corrects the problem! The original Flow Simulation tab should be back on the Command Manager with all the default icons.

If the above steps do not correct this issue then please try the following additional steps.

Make sure SolidWorks is not running, then, using Regedit, rename the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2017\User Interface    (depends on which version you have this issue in)

(Be sure to use the path representing the appropriate SolidWorks version)

This should restore the Flow Simulation Command Manager tab to the default state. Please note that this may also affect other custom Command Manager settings.

Cheers,

- Siavash

John Stephen

Hi Siavash, the first method did not work, so I tried the second method. I am using 2016 and I went till user interface and don't know what to do after that... So it would be great help if you could help me out in this.. I changed the REG_SZ to 1... because the default said "no value"... but that also didnt change my command manager..

Siavash Khajehhasani

You only need to rename the target folder which is "User Interface" in windows registry.

Let's review the process together:

Make sure SolidWorks is not running.

In Windows start menu type Regedit. Press enter. Braows to this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2016\User Interface

Rename the folder called "User Interface" to "User Interface_Backup".

Close the regedit window. Run SW.

Please note that to access regedit, you must have admin access in windows.

The step by step process is shown below:

John Stephen

flow simulation command manager problem.PNG

when i open the "customize" tab, I could see all the flow simulation icons active Siavash, but when I close that tab, all are gone inactive.

Siavash Khajehhasani

When the customize menu is close, your flow sim command manager should look like this:

Could you please send a screen shot when customize menu is close.

Siavash Khajehhasani

Most importantly, I want to see if the "wizard" tool is active or not.

John Stephen

photo_2017-03-02_12-07-51_SOLIDWORKS.jpg

You know, I was confused when you asked me to rename user interface. I thought, what change would that bring. But when I closed that and opened solidworks, I was amazed to see the default flow sim page. Thank you very much. Can you just tell me what happened? Because I am so confused what actually happened. Does this affect any other part of the solidworks? what are the applications of this method that you have just told me? Kindly tell me more if I am not asking much.

Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi John,

First, I am happy that the issue solved. Seconds, a little bit about this problem or similar ones for the UI: asa results of a SW Flow Sim corruption in windows registry the UI specially for flow simulation behaves strange and you may loose access to all of them. This could happen even on the CAD side or the FEA simulation as well. When non of the formal troubleshooting steps work, we go to the last resource, which is resetting the UI registry. For the future reference: if something very strange happened in main functionalities of SW (not UI) and non of the formal solution work, you can reset the registry of "SOLIDWORKS" forlder by that renaming technique. Thereafter, once you run SW again, you will basically run a brand new installation of the software. The danger or caution here is you will loose all of the customized settings. In this regard, you can also save the SW settings before the reset registry and re-run it afterwards. However, if the issue is part of the saved settings file, it will be transferred into the brand new SW that you run after reset registry, like a virus.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

- Siavash