3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2017 9:31 PM by Ryan Dark

composite shell orientation

Andrea Mastrangelo

Hi guys,

I have a problem with the shell orientation of a composite. Maybe it won't be a problem, but i don't know:

I have a sort of vessels, cylinder with two domes divided in 6 faces. On four of them the coordinates system is ok, in the last two it rotate of 180° degrees. Solidworks let me to rotate the system of 90° not 180° or to invert the normal (specular).
      How can i set all reference system with the same orientation?

I said maybe it won't be a problem because if the axis have same direction but different versus the SX, SY and SZ would be the same. wouldn't them?

• Re: composite shell orientation
          Ryan Dark

Hi Andrea,

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking at but given your description that two of the faces are turned 180° from your desired orientation you could ignore that.  The orthotropic material properties of the materials you apply to composites only differentiate betwen X, Y, and Z.  They do not go so far as to differentiate between -X/X, -Y/Y, and -Z/Z.  If the orientation of the ply is 180° rotated in the plane of the shell then it is equivalent to 0° rotation.

Andrea Mastrangelo

Ok, thank you! That was what i supposed, but i wasn't sure it was ok for salutor!
              I have an other question about orientation of the shell. Is it possible to have result aligned with elements coordinates system and not with global reference?
              I explain my problem: i have a composite shell with a curvature and i need to calculate stress components in the middle of curve, but as i understand it the result they are referenced to global system (cylindrical or normal). So i have a problem to get the component in-plane in that points.

Ryan Dark

The coordinate system for the plots in Simulation have to be either cartesian or cylindrical but you can use a locally placed reference plane or axis to orient your plots however you wish to place them in space.  Since you have several surfaces this may prove to be a bit of setup with placing planes on each face you are interested in but that could be done.  You are limited to cartesian and cylindrical coordinates systems though.