4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2008 11:46 AM by Clive Smart

Cant loft on a 3D sketch in An Assy - Noob

Clive Smart
      Hi there

As a relative noob to SW coming from I-Deas i'm having a problem with a 3D sketch.

I have produced a 3D sketch in an assembly for an earth wire but cant seem to use it to produce a sweep. I guess i could use the XYZ points to produce it but that seems a long way round.

Any adice would be great.

Cheers
      Clive
        • Cant loft on a 3D sketch in An Assy - Noob
          Tom Nicholson
          are you sure you want a loft?

producing a wire, it would be the same diameter all the way correct?

so you would create your 3d-sketch, my guess is your using a spline, but whatever your using, create your path in 3d, then create a plane normal to curve, pick the endpoint and the curve, then create a sketch of the diameter of the wire on the newly created plane.

then you just create a swept feature using the two sketches.

here's an example, its 2009 so hope your using that..

Example File
              Clive Smart
              Hi Tom

Yep your correct i'm doing a sweep - quite why i said loft escapes me...

I have my spline that i created in the assembly for the wire path, but it wont allow me to sweep ( i have the plane perp to the spline)

Is this because I'm in assembly? if so i cant work out how to extract the spline to model a part - even Ideas could do stuff like this so SW must be able to.

im using 2007

Ta
              Clive
                  Jeff Mirisola
                  Clive,
                  I do what you're trying to do all the time. From the help file:

Click New Part (Assembly toolbar) or Insert, Component, New Part.

The new part appears in the FeatureManager design tree with a name in the form [Partn^assembly_name]. The square brackets indicate that the part is a virtual component.

Do one of the following:

Click a plane or planar face (while the pointer is ).

Editing focus changes to the new part and a sketch opens in the new part. An Inplace (coincident) mate is added between the Front plane of the new part and the selected plane or face. The new part is fully positioned by the Inplace mate. No additional mates are required to position it. If you wish to reposition the component, you need to delete the Inplace mate first.

Click in a blank region of the graphics area (while the pointer is ).

An empty part is added to the assembly. You can edit or open the empty part file and create geometry. The origin of the part is coincident with the origin of the assembly, and the part 's position is fixed.

Construct the part features, using the same techniques you use to build a part on its own. Reference the geometry of other components in the assembly as needed.

If you extrude a feature using the Up To Next option, the next geometry must be on the same part. Use Up To Surface to extrude to a surface on another component in the assembly or a surface of an assembly feature.

To return to editing the assembly, click to clear Edit Component (Assembly toolbar).

To save a virtual component to its own external file, right-click the component and select Save Part(in External File). Alternatively, when you save the assembly, you can select to save the part either inside the assembly or to an external file.