10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 8:07 PM by Mark Dzidowski

Material 6061-T6 (SS)

Mark Dzidowski
      Hello Everyone,

I thought this may be an embarrassing question to ask, but after asking several engineers, I'm still short of an answer...

When assigning materials I noticed that (SS) follows some of the material descriptions.
      Does anyone know what it stands for?

Regards

Mark
        • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
          steven vandermeulen
          stainless steel?
          • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
            Tom Nicholson
            I would think it would mean Stainless Steel, but having it after an aluminum grade doesn't make sense.. I would guess its a typo, but who knows. Maybe it means Super Shiny?
            • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
              Charles Culp
              I agree with harold, although I'm not sure what it is an abbreviation for. (SS) appears to have a "hardening factor" as a property. Those with (SN) appear to have the exact same properties as the identical entry without the (SN), the only difference is a different appearance. Those with and without the (SS) may or may not have the same appearance...
                • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
                  Rodney Hall
                  I have never seen this (ss) referenced in aluminum supplier specs. My metal supplier tables only list 6061-T4, 6061-T6 Etc. (where -T# = temper). I am not sure about the (ss) but would like to learn if it has some designation.
                    • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
                      Daniel Eelman
                      Found this on the internet. The page I found looks like a SW help page, but I can't find this in the help files:

When selecting a material library, you can sort the material library by category or material model. Some materials in the COSMOS Material library have stress-strain curves defined for use with the plasticity and nonlinear elastic models for nonlinear studies. These materials are identified by showing (SS) attached to the end of their names in the list box. Materials with S-N curves are identified by (SN), and materials with both S-N curves and stress-strain curves are identified by (SS,SN).

Edit: Actually, it might be from the COSMOS help files. I don't have COSMOS.
                  • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
                    Charles Culp
                    Thanks Dan, that makes sense, although you'd think it would be made obvious somewhere.
                      • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
                        Daniel Eelman

Charles Culp wrote:

Thanks Dan, that makes sense, although you'd think it would be made obvious somewhere.

Yes, it should be in the standard help files if everyone gets those materials. Which leads to the fact that loading all those versions of materials should probably be optional at installation, since they are unecessary if you don't have COSMOS.
                      • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
                        Mark Dzidowski
                        Thats awesome, thanks for the resolution, the SS ended up on my "material type" in my drawing, and it sure confused some people.
                        Oh, and Harold... 3AM - As you may already know, Australia is a 3rd world country and my boss like to get the most out of his workers, hence the crazy working hours

Thank you all for your contributions.
                        • Material 6061-T6 (SS)
                          Mark Dzidowski
                          "When selecting a material library, you can sort the material library by category or material model. Some materials in the COSMOS Material library have stress-strain curves defined for use with the plasticity and nonlinear elastic models for nonlinear studies. These materials are identified by showing (SS) attached to the end of their names in the list box. Materials with S-N curves are identified by (SN), and materials with both S-N curves and stress-strain curves are identified by (SS,SN). "

Dan Eelman

Thank you all for your contributions.

Mark