7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 6:10 PM by kurt albrecht

CROPPED VIEWS - SHIFTING POSITION

kurt albrecht
      this is a big problem where i work. we have many fairly large assemblies and we use cropped views a lot. what happens is that the sketch of a cropped view will shift position on its own, say, after a rebuild or save. i want to lock it down somehow, and i've tried fixing all the sketch lines. is this just me/us maxing out the graphics abilities of the pc, or is it a what?

i spend way too much time doing "RC, crop view, edit crop, and immediately exiting editor" just to rebuild the view so it goes back into place.

i will now attempt to attach a screenshot, don't try this at home kids....
        • CROPPED VIEWS - SHIFTING POSITION
          Jeff Hamilton
          We use cropped view alot and never seen that problem there. I usually try to tie down the sketch to a edge or vertex somewhere on the model. But it's usually not necessary.

The only time I have seen what you're describing is in detail views taken from a view that was broken. Then the rebuilds were moving the detail view sketch all over the place trying to keep up with the break. That is a known issue with an SPR.
          However I cannot seem to duplicate it in 2008 SP 5 or 2009 SP 1. I might have been fixed.
            Charles Culp
            Kurt,

One thing to make sure is that the view these cropped views are built on don't change. Jeff discussed one issue, which is when you use a broken view with a cropped view. Two more are aligned view and relative view. Basically, make sure you never define a view based on model geometry, otherwise you are destined for errors later. If you are going to use those tools, make sure they are defined by sketches, planes, or some other feature in the view (either in the model or drawn on) that is never going to change. Never use "aligned view" by selecting the edge/face of a part.
                kurt albrecht
                thanks for the responses. im going to do some more tests with how i create these views, perhaps making a separate, sectioned, configuration of the assy instead of using a section-view.

i have a two page drawing with 5 or more cropped views and they all are doing this, seemingly randomly...so to get them all to look right at once when i print it will be a challenge.
                    Jennifer Bahnsen
                    Kurt,
                    I used to be a CAD Admin at Bucyrus and I remember this problem. If I remember correctly this problem was turned into the VAR. For some reason crop views were always a problem at Bucyrus.

This may be a silly question but did you do a Crtl-Q? Editing the crop sketch seemed to help also even if you didn't modify the sketch other than moving it a smidge. I remember something about the problem having something to do with the physical center of the crop area lining up with center of the original view. It is especially a problem with crop views of broken views.

Have you checked with John? I may have written up a procedure about this problem when I was there.
                        kurt albrecht
                        Hi Jennifer, i've heard about you. (only good things of course.)

John said, essentially what i guessed, that when you have so much going on, cropped views and whatnot, the software just can't keep it all straight after a while.

In some cases i just change it to a broken view instead, at least then it's one less view i have to worry about!