18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 1:08 PM by Jim Sculley

4K monitor issues.........

Roy Potter

How do you get Dassault to address the 4k UI issues?

There are a few posts about issues with the scaling and it seems that they won't be fixed until 2017 SPxx.

It all seems fascial when the reason given for UI re-hash was to cater for 4k monitors.

Posts have been put about to try and solve the issues but most fall short. The problem with the UI is that it is inconsistent. Some icons show at a reasonable size while others don't. In these cases altering the scale factor will not solve the issue. The very small sketch icons would need a large upscale making everything else too big.

Some other issues lay with the rulers in drawings being too small and altering sketch dimensions (without the feature box) produces minute numbers. The task pane is also inconsistent with the UI.

As Draftsight comes up with a mashed UI I tried the prefermanifest option, this worked great on Draftsight but SW2016 would not fill the monitor screen, so I reverted back. Changing the resolution to a lower one really defeats the object of having a UHD monitor and flies in the face of the UI change.

Surely with all the money we spend we are entitled to a critical fix for supported SW versions instead of waiting for 2017 SPxx to come out!

After all we were sold the UI changes on the basis of 4K monitor support.

• Re: 4K monitor issues.........
          Jon Christensen

Our IT guy gave me 2 4k monitors that I did not ask for ("because they were cheaper") and now I can see how horrible solidworks and PDM work with 4k. Some icons are the wrong size, some text is the wrong size (even with scaling), and the check boxes and pull down boxes are being clipped or are microscopic.

The right side is the PDM pane and the left is the pane from the feature manager tree. This is with 150% scaling. It is worse with 175% as you can imagine. And here is what the clipped pull down menus etc look like...supposed to be a full date but it is missing the day portion.

Bottom line is that 4k has been out for several years...why can't SW get it working? Such a shame since everything else is so nice and crisp, I love the 3D model etc. but the text and the icons need real work to comply with microsoft scaling features. Hope you read this Solidworks!

Chris Norman

Look at the font sizes on a 4K Assembly in the PDM system! This has been an issue since at least 2016 and it is now 2018! More people are buying 4K monitors. I cannot use the system. The worst part is the checkboxes for checking items in and out!

sw2.png

Gordon Rigg

I unfortunately acquired a laptop with a 4k screen. It was a quick decision as it was going cheap... so thank god i didnt pay extra for the lovely screen.

Many windows applications don't scale correctly not just solidworks.

Sadly, solidworks have side stepped sorting this out, and latest advice on 2018 is that they do not recommend using 4k screens below a fairly massive size (presumably with your face pressed close to it).

So those of us with smallish screens are stuck with systems we can't run at native resolution, despite solidworks boasting "improved 4k functionality" with each annual upgrade! (we have a thing called the trades descriptions act in the UK that software sellers seem to be able to ignore with impunity).

Meanwhile my laptop seems happy running 1080 on its 4k screen. I even found an app to swap resolutions in a slightly less fiddly way (I posted about that somewhere but a search failed find it just now).

I'm left wondering if running my 4k screen at 1080 is gradually cooking it or hammering the graphics card, but performance seems ok.

Anyone know if there are consequences to running a screen at a lesser non native resolution?

Kevin Berni

Hi Gordon,

Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 10? You should be ok to run SOLIDWORKS 2018 at high pixel densities with good results.   We do still have a few remaining issues and are actively working through the list of fixes.  If you are still seeing significant issues, we'd like to hear about them and get them fixed.

What are the specs on your laptop screen (resolution plus diagonal size)? Are you changing DPI scaling settings on the compatibility tab for the SOLIDWORKS application?   Some combinations of these settings will cause Windows to try to override our scaling behavior and may give you some wild results.

Kevin Berni

Hi Chris,

From your screenshot, it looks like you are using 2017, have you tried 2018 yet? The issues you are showing should be largely resolved in 2018.

Chris Norman

I did not realize that SW 2017 SP5 was obsolete and unsupported already! Sarchasm aside, the entire company is on 2017...we upgrade when we upgrade. I the meantime, tends of thousands of SW users worldwide who do not have purchasing decision to "upgrade" are dealing with the absurdity.

As severity levels go for bugs...this is a serious one.

The green marks and snap points in SW sketches are almost unusable.

Window handles to expand and collapse side panels are 3 pixels wide

Checkboxes are 10 pixels tall by 10 pixels wide with a 5 pixel checkbox in them them. (PDM checkout)

The PDM search field is unreadable

The part card boxes in the right panel are unreadable

The icons for the applications are tiny.

Search results in PDM are tiny

Considering that mostly SME's use PDM, you're ignoring your client base and frankly, telling us to "Upgrade" down in the trenches is B.S.

Chris Norman

Here's another example of PDM integration into Windows explorer or rather lack thereof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

screen 3.png

Shaodun Lin

Solution Id:

S-070484

Product:

SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional 2016 Contributor

Created:

12/9/2015

Technically Reviewed Date:

2/10/2018

Area:

Hardware/OS

Sub-Area:

Windows 7-64 bit

Question:

What are the recommended DPI settings when using a 4k monitor with SOLIDWORKS® PDM Professional?

Answer:

Some DPI configurations in Windows 7 can cause the EPDM vault explorer view to display distorted menus. This can be caused when the DPI setting is set to a DPI setting of 144 or higher, i.e. a non-default (default setting is DPI 96). This is non-reproducible in Windows 8.1 x64

The attached screenshots show various resolution sizes and DPI settings. Note the filename of each file specifies the resolution and text size %

A specific DPI setting of 144  / larger text - 150% or 192  / largest text size – 200% will distort the EPDM vault icons and menu (see screenshots “Win7x64_4k_3840_X_2160_150%.jpg”  and “Win7x64_4k_3840_X_2160_200%.jpg”)

As a recommendation the below DPI settings should be configured
                          •         96 (smaller text – 100%) see screenshot “Win7x64_4k_3840_X_2160_100%.jpg” or
                          •         120 (medium text – 125%) see screenshot “Win7x64_4k_3840_X_2160_125%.jpg”

To modify the DPI setting in Windows 7:
                          1 Right click on the desktop and choose “Personalize”
                          2. On the low-left corner of the “personalization” window select the “display” link

Then either -
                          3. Click on the “Make text and other items larger or smaller" link
                          4 Select the desired text size
                          Smaller - 100%   (= 96 DPI Pixels/Dots Per Inch)
                          Medium - 125%  (= 120 DPI Pixels/Dots Per Inch)
                          Larger - 150%   (= 144 DPI Pixels/Dots Per Inch)
                          5. Click Apply
                          6. Click on the “Log off now” button to apply the DPI changes.
                          7. Log back on and test PDM vault
                          (skip rest of steps)

Or –
                          8. On the left hand side of the window that is in the front, please select “set custom text size (DPI)".
                          9. To the right of “Scale to this percentage of normal size” click on the drop down arrow and select a percentage you want the DPI size to be. (Note: You can also click and hold on the Inch Scale below this and drag it to change the percentage)
                          10. Click Ok
                          11. Click Apply
                          12. Click on the “Log off now” button to apply the DPI changes.
                          13. Log back on and test PDM vault

To modify the DPI setting in Windows 8.1:
                          1 Right click on the desktop and choose “personalize”
                          2. On the low-left corner of the “personalization” window select the “display” link
                          3. Check the box that says “Let me choose one scaling levels for all my displays”

Then either -
                          4. Select the desired text size
                          Smaller - 100%   (= 96 DPI Pixels/Dots Per Inch)
                          Medium - 125%  (= 120 DPI Pixels/Dots Per Inch)
                          Larger - 150%   (= 144 DPI Pixels/Dots Per Inch)
                          5. Click Apply
                          6. Click on the “Log off now” button to apply the DPI changes.
                          7. Log back on and test PDM vault
                          (skip rest of steps)

Or -
                          8. Click/tap on the “Custom sizing options” link
                          9. To the right of “Scale to this percentage of normal size” click on the drop down arrow and select a percentage you want the DPI size to be. (Note: You can also click and hold on the Inch Scale below this and drag it to change the percentage)
                          10. Click Ok
                          11. Click Apply
                          12. Click on the “Log off now” button to apply the DPI changes.
                          13. Log back on and test PDM vault

Chris Norman

Um...who is still using Windows 7?

It's 2018...nearly 1/3 year through and we're unable to get a resolution on an issue that we pay TENS OF THOUSANDS in licensing annually on. WTF???

I just bought a BRAND new Dell Mobile Precision Workstation with a XEON CPU, Windows 10, Nvidia Quadro card and 64GB RAM and Freshly installed SW2017 SP 5 and the fonts are tiny.

It's like buying a car and the dash gauges are tiny and unreadable...people would return the car!

MAYBE ITS TIME TO CONSIDER ONSHAPE???? DUMP SOLIDWORKS!!!

Shaodun Lin

Have you tried 2018SP01?

Douglas Labun

Just to chime in, SWPCB 2018 SP1 and the new internet licensing system don't work properly on a 4k display.

Chris Norman

I sent the CEO (he's in my 1st contact list on LinkedIn) a message with a few screen shots about this.

Kevin Berni

Hi Douglas,

I can check on SWPCB and make sure that we've got SPRs for the scaling issues you are seeing. Are you talking about the task pane integration, specifically?

Also for the internet licensing, are you talking about the login page that launches when you click the little person icon in the upper right? That is actually launching a web browser, so if you press Ctrl-+ it will bump the text size (Ctrl-- will also shrink it). Again we can look into why the mismatch on the initial load of the window and get that cleared up.

Douglas Labun

Kevin,

For PCB, it's pretty much the entire application including the splash screen that doesn't scale properly. The exception is error messages and the vault sign in dialog box, they all scale normally. I've attached a screen shot from my Thinkpad P51 with the built in 4k LCD.

And yes, I was referring to the internet licensing sign in page. Since it's a web browser page I would have expected it to scale properly since IE and Chrome work fine.